Mountain Project Logo

Asolo boots worth it?

Original Post
Peter M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I think I can get these for under a $100 but I'm unemployed and desperately trying to get on ice this year and I can get loaner axe and crampons but I need boots. My question is are the toe and heel shelf big enough for crampons for vertical ice climbing? How much would you pay for these? 

I'm in NC with no ice experience but have sport and trad experience.

if these are a no go, any boots I should look for used that a unemployed person can afford if I wait long enough.

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 160

Plastic boots suck ass, but if it's yer only option, just go for it, alot of hard climbs were put up with alot shittier boots.

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 90

Those welts look plenty big enough to me. Those boots are going to feel big and clunky compared to “modern technical” boots, but they will climb up to WI4 just fine. 

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Those are probably better than the various plastic boots I've used (and still use) over the last 35 years.  Yes, they'll be clunky, heavy, and warm, but suitable for any ice you're likely to ever climb, at least up to WI6.  Mixed, maybe not.

Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

If they fit your feet well, then go ahead... They'll get you up some ice just fine. But if they don't fit well, they're just $100 burned.

sounds like it'll work, but also sounds like I'll want to replace them within a season for something lighter, because I'm pretty positive in gonna love ice 

Thanks for all the quick responses guys, in sure simple boot questions are beat to death all the time. I very much appreciate it!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Asolo boots worth it?"
in the Ice Climbing