Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Solid outdoorsy therapists?

Original Post
Gabriel Tallent · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 42

Anyone have a line on a solid, outdoorsy therapist? 

I've got a buddy with minor depression and anxiety. It's not a huge impingement on his life. He does well. But it hurts his lead game. Most therapists have been frankly unimpressed, taking the view that spending evenings watching netflix rather than putting up routes isn't a big deal. He's generally been told to go easier on himself. That's fine––but it's not what he wants. He wants to go farther and to send harder. Paying a therapist to tell him that it doesn't matter if he's binge-watching TV rather than sending Pentapitch is less than ideal.

Anyone have a line on someone like that? Not a climber necessarily, but someone who gets it, and gets that climbing is important to some of us. Also, while mild, the depression is a real thing and he needs more than just a class on falling or whatever. We've done that. Encouragement does not suffice and we're looking for an actual professional.

Let me know.

Tom Sherman · · Bristol, RI · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 412

A former friend of mine, a great guy that I’d love to reconnect with, he moved out to Salt Lake around three years ago. He is not a practicing psychiatrist, but I believe was at some point. (Maybe only a psychologist??? I’m really not sure) He told me some of what he did was one on one type stuff for those with depression, some would be outings for troubled youth, and some would merely be team building for corporate. I believe he’s simply operating in the outdoor industry now, teaching/coaching hang gliding.

If nothing else, maybe he can get out with your buddy. Definitely someone I wish I got more days with.

If you’re serious and shoot me a PM I’ll figure out getting you guys in touch.

Hope for the best, you sound like a great person for initiating this.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

he may perhaps utilize the morning cave meditationz, also running milez, the combined effects like snorting powerful antidepressant but with health benefits, and yes falling constantly.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Solid outdoorsy therapists?"
in the Northern Utah & Idaho