Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Pads! What to buy?

Original Post
rees labree · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 191

Currently looking into buying a couple bouldering pads. Looking online, most of the competition is between the Black Diamond Drop Zone and the Metolious Session, although a friend recommended the Organic Simple to me. Something to be noted is they are all similar price before shipping including a 'pro-deal' on the BD's. My question: which is the best buy?

Organic Simple: $175(2) + $70 shipping = $420 (yeet)

Metolious Session: $150(2) + $0 shipping = $300

BD Drop Zone: $125(2) + $75 shipping = $375

I looked around and could not find another thread on buying crash pads but if anyone knows of one that may offer insight please let me know.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

I have a Metolius Session pad and it's okay. My next pad will be an Organic, VooDoo, or Flashed pad. 

I would check craigslist to see if there are any used pads for sale. 

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air wrote:

I have a Metolius Session pad and it's okay. My next pad will be an Organic, VooDoo, or Flashed pad. 

I would check craigslist to see if there are any used pads for sale. 

Looking at Craigslist I've found a few Mad Rock pads that look blown out just from the pictures

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 668
grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

I have had a metolious for a decade. I go through bouldering phases. Love it. 

IMO crash pads are all made the same. You pay for size or style. The exception being organic, where you are paying for the brand. 

Adam Slattery · · Platteville Wisconsin · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

You’re absolutely going to get your moneys worth with organic in my opinion. Impossible to rip, far superior carry system, and stays harder for longer. Moon and Misty’s are probably organics biggest competition. Most other pads just don’t STACK up to the quality of those three brands.

I would advise against getting two simple pads though, as you will not be able to take advantage of organics pretty bomb carry system that allows you to stack like infinite pads on each other. You can buy a load flap but I think it’s more money than the difference of just getting a full and then a simple. Or a simple and a slider style pad if that’s more your steez. 

Adam Slattery wrote:

You’re absolutely going to get your moneys worth with organic in my opinion. Impossible to rip, far superior carry system, and stays harder for longer. Moon and Misty’s are probably organics biggest competition. Most other pads just don’t STACK up to the quality of those three brands.

I would advise against getting two simple pads though, as you will not be able to take advantage of organics pretty bomb carry system that allows you to stack like infinite pads on each other. You can buy a load flap but I think it’s more money than the difference of just getting a full and then a simple. Or a simple and a slider style pad if that’s more your steez. 

Go with a simple and a full or two fulls?

Edit: After looking at the website is it possible to strap a simple to a full?

Kereinha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

Go Organic, you won’t regret it.  The newer Metolius pads don’t hold up.

wcayler · · Norther CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 10

Go organic and get the 5inch big pad, having a really big pad for the main landing zone is really nice. Down the road get a simple pad with the carrying system. Organics pads last for so long, while my friends metolious is wearing out and getting soft. Unless the pads doesn't fit in your car.

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,673

I would highly recommend buying used unless you are an AVID boulderer.  Be patient and search craigslist, facebook forums, etc. and you can get some sweet deals.  For brands, the only thing I have to say is:  

Revolution = bad. 

Everything else = good

Asana and Organic = very good.  

ViperScale . · · McMurdo Station, AQ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 240
Adam Slattery wrote:

You know what maybe other pads aren't as durable as organic but you could basically buy 3 pads for the cost of 2 organic ones. I have had and been around other people have have had crash pads for like 6-10 years and besides the ones that used to be used at a gym I went to none of them are worn to the point of not using anymore. Save the money buy 2 of non-expensive pads and by the time they wear out in 10+ years you can still buy a 1 replacement for the same price.

frank bonnevie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 86

do you want a pad that will last? get a send pad. if you want a pad that will last half as long as send get organic.

Alexander Blum · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 132

I have owned Metolius and Organic crash pads. Organic pads are absolutely head and shoulders above every other pad I have ever owned or used. Worth it.

Jack C. · · Calgary, AB · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Does it bother anyone else that nobody in this thread is spelling "Metolius" correctly?  I've got too much time...

Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261

Organic full + simple combo! You can strap them together with the load flap which is really nice for carrying. 

Adam Slattery wrote:

far superior carry system, and stays harder for longer. 

Are you referring to the actual suspension system? If so I would have to disagree and say that it is, in fact, garbage just like most other pads. 

Flashed suspension is far superior as it is setup like an actual backpack. Which is nice because with the burrito style you can really load the pad up without jacking your foam or carrying anything on your chest.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Mike Brady wrote:

Are you referring to the actual suspension system? If so I would have to disagree and say that it is, in fact, garbage just like most other pads. 

Flashed suspension is far superior as it is setup like an actual backpack. 

+1, Organic suspension system is nothing special. The larger flashed has loading strap like the Kinetik pads.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
ViperScale . wrote:

You know what maybe other pads aren't as durable as organic but you could basically buy 3 pads for the cost of 2 organic ones. I have had and been around other people have have had crash pads for like 6-10 years and besides the ones that used to be used at a gym I went to none of them are worn to the point of not using anymore. Save the money buy 2 of non-expensive pads and by the time they wear out in 10+ years you can still buy a 1 replacement for the same price.

IME, foam in cheap pads wears out so fast that even if the shell looks new, it provides little actual cushioning. Maybe you have younger knees, but I refuse to land on cheap ass pads. They are more comfortable to lay on though.

reboot wrote:

IME, foam in cheap pads wears out so fast that even if the shell looks new, it provides little actual cushioning. Maybe you have younger knees, but I refuse to land on cheap ass pads. They are more comfortable to lay on though.

Metolius foam does just that and that is why Organic went to the other extreme. I feel like Im going to break an ankle if I come anywhere near the edge of an Organic pad. 

DRusso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 740
Sam Deshler · · Southern California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 11

Check out the new Mad Rock Duo Pad. It's big, lightweight, has great straps, and easy to attach more pads to.  Mad Rock pads also have Velcro flaps so they can stick to one another.  I carry one Duo and one regular sized Mad Pad and usually stick them together in whatever shape is appropriate...

In my experience, though, the durability of Organic is unmatched.  I've never stepped on/fallen on a flabby Organic.  Can't say the same for Metolius.  One of my older Mad Pads is started to feel too soft as well.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Pads! What to buy?"
in the Bouldering