Mountain Project Logo

Cochise Stronghold - Knob Hill Fire Impact

Original Post
Enrico Saladino · · Tempe, Arizona · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 5

Does anyone have information regarding the impact of the Knob Hill fire on the Cochise climbing areas? 

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 125
JD · · Vanlifer · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

Don't go rn. 

J.Kruse · · Las Cruces, NM · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 150

updated 4hrs ago, fire activity now minimal.  wednesday and thursday of this week look to be bringing some rainfall to the area as well, so hopefully this incident will be completely contained.  

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

We're heading to Cochise. Are both East and West sides accessible?

climber pat · · Las Cruces, NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 215
mountainhick wrote:

We're heading to Cochise. Are both East and West sides accessible?

I was in the west side yesterday, no problems. I think the east is good too.  

Edit: You can see where the fire burned up to the road about 1 mile from the end (the approach to whale dome etc).  Most of the fire was north of the road.  It stopped one canyon northwest of the approach to whale dome.  No climbing was affected but it was close.  The forest service already has a sign up warning of floods and road damage but the road is in nominal condition.  e.g. a little rough but passable by most vehicles.

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120
climber pat wrote:

I was in the west side yesterday, no problems. I think the east is good too.  

Edit: You can see where the fire burned up to the road about 1 mile from the end (the approach to whale dome etc).  Most of the fire was north of the road.  It stopped one canyon northwest of the approach to whale dome.  No climbing was affected but it was close.  The forest service already has a sign up warning of floods and road damage but the road is in nominal condition.  e.g. a little rough but passable by most vehicles.

Thanks. The FS sign was actually there last month before the latest fire. I suspect as a result of last year's fire.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Cochise Stronghold - Knob Hill Fire Impact"