Mountain Project Logo

Boots for Cordillera Blanca

Original Post
Scott E · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

I am headed to Peru to climb in the Cordillera Blanca and possibly some other ranges for a month this summer. I am hoping to do some of the 6000m peaks. Are double boots necessary? I currently own La Sportiva Nepal Cubes. I know people who have been fine with leather single boots there and I generally operate pretty warm. However, my feet also sweat a lot so I have a hard time drying my boots out at night on multi-day trips. I am thinking about getting one of the more technical double boots like the La Sportiva G2SM or Scarpa 6000. What are other people's experiences with boots in Peru? Also, any recommendation on ideal temperate rating for a sleeping bag to bring? 

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I used plastic boots for that trip and pretty much sold them immediately after. We'd typically be on a glacier 3 days. It was nice to bring the liners into my bag and let them dry overnight, also keeping my feet warm when sleeping. 

I doubt my feet would have been cold wearing leather boots. I don't know of any strategies to dry them overnight on a glacier though.

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,145

If your feet sweet a lot look into a VBL system. I use thin neoprene socks with a fleece lining under a wool sock. When I get into a camp I take the VBL off and hang to dry and put on some other socks. The wool socks go under my shirt for the night.  Once dinner is done the VBL socks go into my bag for the night.

As for boots, the real question is what are your objectives? You may well fine with your current boots. I like a double boot for multi-day trips the temps are consistently below freezing. As for a bag I would bring my 0 degree bag. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Boots for Cordillera Blanca"
in the Mountaineering