Mountain Project Logo

Resolers?

Original Post
dave bingham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 52

Any recommendations on resolers in SLC area?  

Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

Not in SLC but I just got shoes back from yosemitebum. They did a great job. 1/2 sole is $30 and with rand $42. Turn around was 10 days including shipping time. If you have 3 pairs they pay for return shipping. Here is a 20% coupon code good the rest of 2018.   ybum20

Rachael Bradford · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

The Gear Room did a nice job on my Katanas for $40. They had a 2-3 week turnaround.

greg t · · Chevy, Silverado · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,025

Gear Room is about a 10 day turnaround currently

Garret Nuzzo-Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,446
dave bingham wrote:

Gear room was faster than advertised and does as good a job as any other resoler I've used. Not having to pay for shipping is a notable savings too. They still had C4 last time I checked...

dave bingham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 52

Thanks guys! I've got 4-5 pairs waiting for new rubber!

Ben Kirby · · Davisburg, MI · Joined May 2014 · Points: 69

I've been very satisfied with Yosemite Bum and preferred their rubber to the manufacturer's original on some of my shoes.

madskates · · slc · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 140

The Gear Room does awesome resoles. Quick turn around and they do great work! Have had about 6 pairs done and they all turned out awesome. 

Onsight Resoles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I will be around SLC late March / early May.  I don't stock the TRAX rubber that Yosemite Bum sells but I do have Vibram XS Edge 4mm & 5mm and 4mm C4 Stealth.  Give a follow https://www.facebook.com/onsightresoles/ and https://www.instagram.com/onsightresoles/ to see where I'll be.  I'll be in Vegas March 11th-24th and then Arizona after that before making my way up to SLC.

- Ian

Rauzer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
dave bingham wrote:

Gear Room!

MikeSLC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 40

In terms of quality, I found yosemitebum did a better job than Gear Room at a lower cost (w/ multiple pairs).

Luke Lindeman · · Lancaster, PA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I had success with Chris over at Greater Tahoe Gripworks. Not necessarily "local" but the shipping is reasonable and he's kinda close to you Utah folks.

Sam Miller · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Tahoe gripworks does great work

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

One more vote for Gear Room. 5 or so pairs now, including one specialty one(blown out rands, stretched caps to make for less aggressive fit).  Happy with all so far. 

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 14,421

Ditto the Gear Room.  Breathed new life in a fairly worn out pair of TC pros for me.

DaEyeDoc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 20

I will second Tahoe Gripworks. He has done several pairs for my wife and I and they always come back looking great with solid turnaround times. 

JCH . · · Nashville · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 210

I tried fliphouse resoles out of Joshua Tree on a pair of worn our Muiras. They came back in about 10 days, and looked great. The resole has lasted well for the past couple of months of continuous use. 

Billy Goat · · Wasatch · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 100

The Gear Room seems to do well with board lasted flat shoes like TC pros. They dont seem to do good work on soft downturned shoes with a "pocket" in the fore foot like Skwamas or Solutions. I have had much better luck with Rock and Resole with those style of shoes. Enough of a difference that I still ship them to CO, I shipped two pairs to R&R last week actually.

Garret Nuzzo-Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,446
Billy Goat wrote:

The Gear Room seems to do well with board lasted flat shoes like TC pros. They dont seem to do good work on soft downturned shoes with a "pocket" in the fore foot like Skwamas or Solutions. I have had much better luck with Rock and Resole with those style of shoes. Enough of a difference that I still ship them to CO, I shipped two pairs to R&R last week actually.

I was curious about this. I just bought a new pair of Dragons and was wondering how people resole these things? Just have to have some bizarre last to put them on? Seems like a lot of these downturned shoes are so weirdly shaped and asymetric it would be very hard to get them into the same shape they came in.

Billy Goat · · Wasatch · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 100
Garret Nuzzo-Jones wrote:

I was curious about this. I just bought a new pair of Dragons and was wondering how people resole these things? Just have to have some bizarre last to put them on? Seems like a lot of these downturned shoes are so weirdly shaped and asymetric it would be very hard to get them into the same shape they came in.

I have no idea honestly—I don’t pretend to know the mechanics of it. I do climb a lot though, I can tell the difference between the different resoles. :)

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 756
Billy Goat wrote:

I have no idea honestly—I don’t pretend to know the mechanics of it. I do climb a lot though, I can tell the difference between the different resoles. :)

It has to do with the last the resoler has on hand. The shops in question need to have the cash to be able to purchase the different types of lasts for different shoes (ie - flat, downturn). They're super expensive so it's possible your preferred resoler may only have one available which is why your shoes come back with new rubber, but a slightly different down turn than before.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Resolers?"
in the Northern Utah & Idaho