Mountain Project Logo

Climber suggestions/advice Krabi & Chiang Mai, Thailand in March

Original Post
Lorraine Ciccarelli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

A friend and I are going to be in Krabi & Chiang Mai from the 7th-24th.

Any suggestions or advice?

Where do fellow climbers hang out when not climbing?
Favorite route?

Thanks!!

Jeremy Lubkin · · Worldwide Wanderer · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 5

In case you havnt heard hey, lots of word of ‘dengue outbreak’ in Tonsai. And some say Chiang Mai is as bad or worse. ‘Worst in decades’.  Im on Phi Phi now and have plans for Railay in a coule days followed by Chiang Mai. Strongly considering skipping Railay because of this but on the fence. 

All that said i think its peak climber season for both areas so you should have no prob finding the climbers.  There are threads in the partner finder area as well as ‘Travelling Climbers’ forum on FB. Its my first tome to these areas so cant offer much more info. 

Chris Norwood · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 80

Jeremy Lubkin wrote:

In case you havnt heard hey, lots of word of ‘dengue outbreak’ in Tonsai. And some say Chiang Mai is as bad or worse. ‘Worst in decades’.  Im on Phi Phi now and have plans for Railay in a coule days followed by Chiang Mai. Strongly considering skipping Railay because of this but on the fence. 

All that said i think its peak climber season for both areas so you should have no prob finding the climbers.  There are threads in the partner finder area as well as ‘Travelling Climbers’ forum on FB. Its my first tome to these areas so cant offer much more info. 

Yes, a friend of mine, who was just there about 2 weeks ago, said people were getting dengue left and right down in Tonsai...

I disagree about Chiang Mai being "as bad or worse" in that regard though, but maybe I've been hanging with the wrong people? haha.  Maybe if you're staying at Jira Homestay and run into climbers that already picked it up down south, but I've personally not heard of many people sick with anything beyond a cold here in Chiang Mai :)  Then again, I've spent most my time here in town.

Joseph DeGaetano · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined May 2008 · Points: 495

You're coming at the very end, if not in the beginning of the off-season, here in Thailand. March and April are the hottest and humid months in TH although they are typically dry. But not the case for this morning in Bangkok, in which it rained on and off for the past 4 hours. Weather has been weird this year though, so who knows what you'll get. Just expect hot and muggy and you'll be fine. After all, it's TH and it's rarely ideal climbing weather. I've heard the rumors about Tonsai as well and although I just returned from there and seem fine, I would be careful. Chiang Mai is going to be hot and there is always a risk of catching dengue fever anywhere in SE Asia but that's part of the deal. Bring bug spray, chase shade, climb early in the morning, lower your grade expectations if you have any, and just soak up TH while enjoying the food and a few cold shitty beers watered down by ice in a glass. 

Henrik Queckfeldt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Will be in Chiang Mai from 26 of March until 30. Looking for partner .

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Climber suggestions/advice Krabi & Chiang Mai,…"
in the International