Mountain Project Logo

Easy crack

Original Post
Nathan Z · · SL, UT · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 31

I'm new to the trad game and would love to dial in my crack technique. Anyone have any suggestions for routes or areas with some easy to moderate cracks? I want to practice putting in gear and jamming. I live in Sacramento, and anything within a couple hours would be ideal. Bonus points for places accessible during the winter! 

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Hogs back at lovers leap has a variety of 5.4-5.6 low angle routes that are EASY climbing, easy approach. Weather depending of course but it’s been very dry there. Close to Sac. 

Kenny DuJardin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Like Scottmx426 said, Hogs Back would be a great choice.  If you want shorter and less committing stuff, Consumnes River Gorge in Placerville would also be a good option.  There are some pretty good easy cracks there.  Perfect climbing weather during the winter, but it does tend to get crowded.

Jared M · · Oakland, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 145

Cosumnes is a quick drive and approach. You can set up TRs and run laps on Dinkum (fingers) and Test Piece (lieback, thin hands).

Phantom Spires has a few crack routes in the 5.5-5.8 range and may be dry with the mild winter so far. Recommend a high clearance vehicle. 

Right on! I did a couple of the easy routes at hogsback a few weeks back and that was the perfect intro to placing gear. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, and into the (well protected) 5.7-5.8 range. 

I'll have to check out consumnes, that sounds perfect. 

We thought about hitting phantom spires a couple weeks ago but we're worried there would be too much snow. Anyone been there this winter? 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Nathan Zacharias wrote:

Right on! I did a couple of the easy routes at hogsback a few weeks back and that was the perfect intro to placing gear. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, and into the (well protected) 5.7-5.8 range. 

I'll have to check out consumnes, that sounds perfect. 

We thought about hitting phantom spires a couple weeks ago but we're worried there would be too much snow. Anyone been there this winter? 

Its open. No snow.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Eric1111 Brandt · · Truckee CA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

The Grotto has some nice single pitch moderate cracks that would be doable in winter.

Thanks all! This should be more than enough to get me through the next few weekends. 

Do any of you happen to know where I can buy a copy of the guidebook Rock Climbs of Placerville?

GizzardJones · · Pollock Pines, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 610

Granite arch in rancho cordova has a copy

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Easy crack"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started