Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Building first climbing rack

Original Post
Ethan Hyde · · Portland, OR · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I am 16 and super stoked on climbing. I've climbed outside quite a few times with other people, but I have mostly been climbing in the gym for the past couple of months. I really want to start climbing outside more, but the pro is so expensive. Does anybody have some cams or nuts for sale or know where I can get a good deal?

Thanks!

Nate Tastic · · Sutter Creek · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

You can keep an eye out for gear in the FOR SALE forum

If you do, make sure to do your due diligence. Double check they're a legit seller. Check their profile that they didn't signup yesterday. Don't pay Friends and Family. Ask questions before buying and use common sense to not get taken for a fool etc.

Keep an eye out for sales at the usual retailers. Campsaver, Backcountry, REI, STP etc. And use Active Junky to get money back on top of sales too. Sign up for and find coupons online. Here, have $10 on me: https://www.activejunky.com/invite/162457 (I get $10 too.)

Watch the Great Online Deals of 2018

And remember, get training from an experienced climber or guide before you put any of that gear to use 'cause YGD™

Barry M · · WV · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hookup with a local partner that's got their head on square. Climb with their gear and find out what you like or don't like of the types of gear they have so you can see what you want to buy and what not to. 

Also don't buy cheaper hardware to begin with. Save up for nicer quality stuff. Cheaper to buy once then going cheap and upgrading later. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Building first climbing rack"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion