Mountain Project Logo

High waisted full zip hardshell?

Original Post
Aaeia Naess · · Newport, NH · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hi! Do any of you know of a very high waisted full zip hardshell pant, sans suspenders (or with removable suspenders)? My Arc'teryx Alpha jacket is a bit short for my taste so I feel I need a high waist to protect my hipline from the elements, but still want it to be easy to whip it out and zip it over my softshells when the weather gets bad. Any ideas? Thank you in advance. I haven't been able to try on a full zip Alpha SL in person, but do you think that would be high enough to feel protected with short jackets like the alpha line?

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311

I am pretty sure the Alpha SL is not tall at all. If you can wait until fall, the Alpha AR seems to be exactly what you are looking for:

http://blog.arcteryx.com/media-room/new-fall-2018

It doesn't have full zips, isn't what I would call a full hard shell, and is cut too slim to wear over soft shells (and no one seems to know about it) but the Pantagonia Galvanized is high waisted and has suspenders. I just got mine and they may be an awesome ice/alpine pant or may be too delicate; don't know. Obviously, doesn't fit most of your criteria. Next year's AR does look sweet.

Aaeia Naess · · Newport, NH · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hm. Alpha AR seems to be available? Do you mean an updated Alpha AR? Anyway, I think I might just go for the Theta SV bib. I just wanted something a little more minimal that could be conceivably used throughout the year as an all-purpose hardshell. And also the Theta has some negative reviews over its poor durability, which seems surprising. I never know whether people with durability issues are just monsters to their gear or whether I should take it into account.

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Brooks range armour pants are great, may have stopped making them this year but they are still around 

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311

I thought the current ARs are normal waisted and next year's are high wasited but I am making some guesses based on the one pic in that press release.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Mammut Nordwand Pro HS pants are awesome and also high waisted. They are my favorite hardshells by far!

https://us.mammut.com/p/1020-12040-2154/nordwand-pro-hs-pants-men/

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I have Theta SVs that are probably 5 years old now.  They used to be my regular ski touring pants (until this season when I switched to a different pair of goretex pants for lifts and touring) and were my go-to hardshells when needed for mountaineering (I do some instruction with my local climbing club which puts me out in whatever weather we have during our field trips).  I've put some miles on them but nothing I'd consider too abusive.  They've held up well except for the slight seam split that happened on both cuffs the first time out but never spread any further.  I'm constantly disappointed by the lack of pockets but that should be an obvious short coming that you can decide how you feel about before buying them.

Jcburgart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15
AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "High waisted full zip hardshell?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started