Mountain Project Logo

My. Whitney help

Original Post
Chase Leoncini · · San Diego, California · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 135

Planning first trip to Mt. Whitney some time this year. Was wondering if I could get some information from people who climbed it.

I plan on doing the easier route up the wall (I believe it’s 5.7) and was wondering what “zone” would I need to select for permit?) Theres a day zone from midnight to midnight and an overnight “trail” zone. Which would I pick? I imagine it takes more than a day.

Which brings me to my second question. How long is the hike?

Lastly, If anyone could give any tips to make my firs trip more fun let me know I would really appreciate it.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 551

You want the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek JM34 on the reservation system. Good luck getting one. It can be done car2car, but if you are not super-fit and super-fast you will want 2-3 days. It takes about 4-6 hours to hike up to iceberg lake with packs. 

If you can't reserve a permit, its relatively easy to get one if you go mid-week (forget weekends) and go to the Ranger station the day before. 

Greg Opland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 167

Climbing Mt. Whitney, by Peter Croft is pretty good for planning and route info.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

You'll want to do the trip as a two or three-day trip. Very fit people, who want to push themselves, can do the trip in one day. That rules out mortals like me, and most others.

The hike to base camp, which is Iceberg Lake for most people, is short but a butt-kicker.

Get the High Sierra Supertopo for detailed beta on this classic climb and many others.

brian burke · · santa monica, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 120

the permit you're looking for is for the north fork of lone pine creek JM34.

the trail is from the portal to the base of the east face/east but. is 5000' vertical over four miles. 

it is totally possible to do car-to-car or as a multi-day trip.

have fun!

Chase Leoncini · · San Diego, California · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 135

Thanks all. Very helpful. Don’t know what YGD is tho 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Its traditional on the forums to wish someone good luck this way. :D

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 42

Don't do it in a day. It's more fun to hang out and camp up as high as you can (Iceberg or Boyscout). Set a base camp, enjoy the lakes, have a mellow day of climbing, and head back down. If you have time, do two climbs while you're up there. Think about Russel too, like fishhook arete.

Wherever you're coming from, camp in the Alabama Hills night one--if you get in late--take a leisurely stroll (4-5 hrs) up to iceberg or upper boyscout lake (real day 1), climb the next day (real day 2) and head down, or climb again (real day 3) and head down. If you've got some extra time and want to get acclimated, Lone Pine peak is some good exercise and a fun adventure.

Zack Pena · · San Diego, CA · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 200

As of last week there were still permits available for north fork of lone pine creek JM34 and the Whitney portal campground on Don't know when you plan on going but you should be able to get something whether it be overnight or a day trip.

csproul · · Davis, CA · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330

spend a couple of days and climb Russel while you're there. 

Ronald B · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

There are 6 spots a day that become available exactly 6 months ahead of time on a daily basis, so right now the permits are becoming available in early August.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "My. Whitney help"
in the Northern California