We're hiring an experienced designer to join us in Boulder, CO.
Mountain Project Logo

Cedar Rock (North Cedar- Roof of Northern Aggression Area) Peregrine Closure Updates

Original Post
Mike Reardon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 1,025

UPDATE ON NORTH CEDAR PEREGRINE CLOSURE: Carolina Climbers Coalition, the State Wildlife Commission, and the Forest Service have been working together for the past few weeks to pinpoint the necessary closure boundaries at North Cedar. It has been a great collaborative process where both the peregrines are better protected for nesting and more climbing resources remain open. Initially, the closure stated "the Morning Glory Portion" which was inaccurate and would have unnecessarily closed all of North Cedar's 70 routes during nesting season. Due to land contours and a more accurate nest location, we narrowed down the necessary closure to the Roof of Northern Aggression Area, specifically between routes Baynes Corner and Groove Thang. Classics further left like Cut in the Rug and the ice at Cedar Gem will remain open year round, but that further left area will have to be accessed via the Butter Gap trail from the north. There is not a good trail coming in from Butter Gap Trail, take the Butter Gap Trail about 1/2 mile, then cut uphill off trail and you'll find it. DO NOT ENTER the base of the Roof of Northern Aggression Area during nesting season. The signs were posted today at these closure areas. The map attached to this email has been approved by the FS and State Wildlife Commission. It is also important to note that this closure typically runs Mid Jan- Mid Aug but is often lifted early based on the fledglings. Updates on this closure will be made in Southern Pisgah Rock and Ice, the upcoming guide book fromgrounduppublishing.com.

The former peregrine closure at Victory Wall has now been lifted.

Side note: if you are not a CCC member, consider becoming one.  

TomCaldwell · · Clemson, S.C. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 2,613

Thanks for working with the USFS Mike! It is nice that we will still get to climb on a large portion of the north side. I am looking forward to meeting the ranger this spring to work on the Picken's Nose closure.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 498

Thank you so much for dealing with this. I appreciate the fact that while I was vocal about the closure being screwed up, I didn’t do anything constructive about it. You did. Thanks.

Cory Tracy · · Fletcher, NC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Thank You for the Clarification. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Cedar Rock (North Cedar- Roof of Northern Aggre…"
in the Southern States