We're hiring an experienced designer to join us in Boulder, CO.
Mountain Project Logo

Crossing Colorado from Needles to Maze?


Original Post
Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 160

Near spanish bottom. Can it be done safely? Odds of hitching a ride across by boat? I think it would be a cool way to access the Maze from the Needles.

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,677

In normal conditions a decent swimmer could make it across just fine drybagging and towing their pack. But I wouldn't want to screw it up.

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 160
Josh Janes wrote:

In normal conditions a decent swimmer could make it across just fine drybagging and towing their pack. But I wouldn't want to screw it up.

Yea, cataract canyon is just downstream. I'm a decent swimmer, emphasis on decent. I heard most boats at least stop at Spanish Bottom after the confluence, hoping I can arrange a ride across.

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,677

I think it's likely during the season. When I've considered it I've always thought I'd give myself an extra day's worth of food to buy myself more time in hopes of a ride - using the swim option as a Plan B.

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 160
Josh Janes wrote:

I think it's likely during the season. When I've considered it I've always thought I'd give myself an extra day's worth of food to buy myself more time in hopes of a ride - using the swim option as a Plan B.

That's the plan. I used Google Earth to measure the distance, anywhere from 300-600 feet across. That's a lot of swimming for me. Maybe I'll invest in some floaties.

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,677

Floaties are a good idea. Especially useful for flagging down rescuers. Also: Make sure dry bag is dry.

For inspiration, read this. The "In Restrospect" section is hilarious.

SeƱor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Josh Janes wrote:

Floaties are a good idea. Especially useful for flagging down rescuers. Also: Make sure dry bag is dry.

For inspiration, read this. The "In Restrospect" section is hilarious.

This is precious. The report doesn't mention it, probably because a former NPS ranger was one of the parties, but it seem inevitable that there was some heavy intoxication involved in the 30+ mile "miscalculation." 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Crossing Colorado from Needles to Maze?"
in the Southern Utah Deserts

Log In to Reply