For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

"Bomb" emoji misleading, replace with "poop".

Original Post
Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 165

The bomb emoji is misleading. One could think "Whoa, this route must be the bomb!" or "Wow, the pro on this route must be bomber!" Why not use the poop emoji instead to indicate that such and such route is a poop route?

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,648

Never would have thought a bomb is better than a star, but a poop emoji would rad! 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

"Poop Route" would be a decent name for a climb where you wanted to keep the crowds away. But people might miscontrue the name like "bomb," e.g., "That Poop Route Is so good, it's the shit!"

Acmesalute76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 55

The poop symbol should be available when there is actual fecal matter on the route. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 324

A quick search indicates there are 12 routes in the database named "Poop Chute", or some variation thereof.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Bombs could be misunderstood and poop misleading as well. Maybe someone could come up with a suck emoji to indicate a route sucks.

Phil Lauffen · · The Bubble · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 2,260
Bill Kirby wrote:

Bombs could be misunderstood and poop misleading as well. Maybe someone could come up with a suck emoji to indicate a route sucks.

Well, I don't know about you but...

Maybe we should have a baby emoji. Everyone knows that would mean a route was awful because babies mean you can't climb anymore

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

1. It is an icon not an emoji.

2. The history of the website is quite clear that bomb should be reserved for climbs that really shouldn't be climbed due to poor rock quality, bolting, and overall aesthetics.  The rating does mean "Avoid" if you go look it up on a route.

3. Using stars as ratings has been around for decades in western culture.  When was the last time you heard of a movie that got rated a bomb instead of a star?  Probably never because they don't have ratings like that and if they did it would be reserved for something that is complete shit.

4. Lay off the peyote and you won't think something is "da bomb."

scott fuzz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 125
jg fox wrote:

2. The history of the website is quite clear that bomb should be reserved for climbs that really shouldn't be climbed due to poor rock quality, bolting, and overall aesthetics.  The rating does mean "Avoid" if you go look it up on a route.

3. Using stars as ratings has been around for decades in western culture.  When was the last time you heard of a movie that got rated a bomb instead of a star?  Probably never because they don't have ratings like that and if they did it would be reserved for something that is complete shit.

Shitbomb right here-

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 165
jg fox wrote:

I'll lay off the peyote when you stop smoking the crack that makes you believe that this was anything but a joke.

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

emojis/symbols are taking over written language. Neil Stephenson's Diamond Age predicted this quite well. 

Keatan · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 20

I'm concerned the poop emoji could be misleading and people might jump on a poop route thinking it's "the shit." I propose a starfish emoji, it sticks with the star theme but let's you know the route integrity might be a bit fishy.

Nick B · · Anchorage, Alaska · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 56

Hmm. Pretty sure if you can't figure this one out you deserve a sweet chossfest!

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60
jg fox wrote:

Using stars as ratings has been around for over 150 years, for movies specifically about 90 years, yet it's pretty common vernacular to say, 'that movie bombed at the box office' or 'their last album totally bombed.' In both cases this is not a positive statement.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 442
Nick B wrote:

Hmm. Pretty sure if you can't figure this one out you deserve a sweet chossfest!

Hey man, choss can be a classic... if you're in the right mood. You know, that lust for some dirt and sand in your mouth/eyes and you just get really frisky for some kitty litter. I get these moods roughly once a year and then I go on a proper adventure

Nick B · · Anchorage, Alaska · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 56

Lol around anchorage even our 5 star routes are choss.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to ""Bomb" emoji misleading, replace with "poop"."
in the Discuss MountainProject.com