Mountain Project Logo

Rockwoods Reservation climbing

Original Post
P J · · St. Louis, MO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 417

Is anyone in the St. Louis area aware of efforts to re-open Rockwoods Reservation for climbing.  I see that bluff line off 109 all the time and finally hiked out there today to check it out. It looks like it could be cleaned up nicely into a great local option.

Pokey819 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I remember seeing something a long time ago and did a quick search.  Missouri Climbers Coalition and Access fund tried to open access back up to climbing back in 2013 with no luck.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 70

The Missouri Department of Conservation is not very friendly to rock climbers. They seem to only care about people that kill stuff or watch birds. 

There was small area within the park just off the road that had a sign that said "rock climbing", but I believe that has been taken down within the past couple of years(I don't recall seeing it the last time I was there). In years past, you could apply for a permit to rock climb, but that stopped at least before 2006 because I never saw anyone climbing there. It's a shame that they didn't open it up to rock climbing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Rockwoods Reservation climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started