Mountain Project Logo

Regular lead partner San Diego

Original Post
simon leigh · · CARLSBAD · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I've been climbing a little over a year mostly at the gym but with some outdoor trips to mission gorge, new jack city, mt woodson, lake dixon.  I'd like to find a regular lead partner mainly for outdoors but it'd be nice to sync up at the gym as well. For the gym I'd prefer mesa rim mira mesa, but open to mission valley and vertical hold old town/san marcos.  My work schedule is flexible so I can climb during the work day sometimes, however my preference would be gym either in the evening or early morning on week days and outdoors on the weekend.  

At the gym I TR early to mid 10s, and lead early 10s.  Outdoors I haven't had the opportunity to lead more than a 5.8.  I have a 60m rope, quickdraws, alpine draws, anchor gear and part of a rack for trad.  I'm planning on taking some classes to learn trad although if there are any trad mentors who are looking for a bitch then let me know ;)  I'm a nerd and take learning the technical side seriously so I've read a good amount and taken classes so despite my lack of experience I know some things reasonably well.  I'm used to setting up anchors and cleaning.

I'd prefer someone closer to my weight (200), although I do have an edelrid ohm if you're not.  Safety and chillness are important to me, bonus points for being a similarish ability, age (mid 30s) and for not being a bro, but still liking beer and burgers.  

John Leonard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Hello Simon, 

I'd like to hitch up with you sometime to see if we're compatible. I live in La Mesa. Been climbing for about 5 years. Have all the trad equipment. Love leading. Much prefer outdoors to the gym, even if it means doing the same old routes at the Gorge. I TR the 10s (even managed a couple 11s, but they were probably arguable), but I won't lead anything higher than a 9 because I have a bad back that a whipper fall would probably wreak havoc on. I basically climb with a no-fall mentality. I love climbing at Tahquitz, and I've led about a dozen of the popular moderate routes there. Working up the courage to take on Open Book. I dream of tackling Sierra climbs, but so far have only done Crystal Crag and Cathedral Peak - the introductory climbs. I love Joshua Tree but have only climbed there a few times. I'm 58, so I need to get my climbing yah, yahs out now before it's too late!  My climbing history of partners is a few years with my nephew (who moved away); my wife who is no longer interested; a friend that will go to Tahquitz or the Sierra, but has absolutely no interest in anything that isn't a mult-pitch adventure; and a work friend who will do anything but doesn't seem to be able to do much of anything because of family constraints (very frustrating for me, and him too!).  So I'm reaching out to you, because I'm getting tired of weekends going by without any climbing. As far as safeness and chill are concerned, you won't do better than me (it comes with age).

So let's get in touch. I just joined, so I'm not sure how to do that?

John Leonard

Matthew Lee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I'm 42, lead mostly 7's and climb outdoors pretty much every weekend... sending a DM

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Regular lead partner San Diego"
in the Southern California Partners