Mountain Project Logo

Insulated belay gloves?

Original Post
Don Ferris III · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 175

Leather palm and durable, lightly insulated, biner hole, and ideally waterproof. Whatcha got?

Cameron Habib · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

No idea but you could always get an uninsulated pair a size larger and throw them over some fleece liners. Outer wears out, replace those for a few dollars, but keep the inners. 

Matt Zia · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 142

Could get a pair of Kincos, put a couple of coats of SnoSeal on them, and punch a hole in the cuff with a hot knife or awl.

Don Ferris III · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 175
Cameron Habib wrote:

No idea but you could always get an uninsulated pair a size larger and throw them over some fleece liners. Outer wears out, replace those for a few dollars, but keep the inners. 

Really not a bad idea. 

Jim Urbec · · sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 46

OR Project gloves.... guaranteed to have a "ok I'm gonna need a minute alone" moment as soon as you slip them on...

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Black Diamond Arc gloves.  Meant for cold weather alpine climbing but they could fit the bill as a belay glove in inclement weather.  Climbed up to 5.8 in them.

Jack C. · · Calgary, AB · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Lined leather gloves from the local hardware store. $15 and they'll last longer than those $130 OR projects.  Not they aren't amazing gloves but to spend 10 times what you need seems a bit excessive.  I've had much better luck with simple leather or mechanix 4x gloves than current offerings from BD, Petzl, and Metolius.  The OR airbrakes (unlined) are an absolute dream though.

Luke Counterman · · Michigan · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

I have a pair of Marmot basic work gloves sized a bit large to accept a liner glove. $20, full leather construction, and insulated. The pattern is a bit different than your standard leather work glove such that it allows for better dexterity. I slathered mine with Heavy Duty LP and now they are waterproof. They make a great belay glove and you can throw a liner in if it is really cold. They work well as an Ice climbing glove as well.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Kinco gloves., I always thought this was so trendy and made no sense. I was in a hardware store last year and needed work gloves to chop wood for the stove. Because I owned the Kincos, I started carrying them for rappelling after my lead gloves got worn. I started experimenting with the Kincos for different duties on different days.

At this point I wear them on the approach, hiking, belaying and rappelling. I’m almost thinking of two pairs of Kincos (approach and belay/rappel) and one pair of lead gloves.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Insulated belay gloves?"