Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Alternative North Side LG approach


Original Post
Curtis Baird · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 177

Can someone describe it?  I was told once but forgot.  Thanks

Rob Dillon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 720

Starts downhill from Sliding Rock, passes under nose boulder, goes up a lot.

Gage Holbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

With the road being closed right now the only way in is to park at the gate and hike 3.5 miles to the north side parking area and then take the climbers trail to the north side 

Curtis Baird · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 177
Gage Holbert wrote:

With the road being closed right now the only way in is to park at the gate and hike 3.5 miles to the north side parking area and then take the climbers trail to the north side 

There is another way, I just can't remember it.

Curtis Baird · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 177
Rob Dillon wrote:

Starts downhill from Sliding Rock, passes under nose boulder, goes up a lot.

I think you are describing the way I was told.  Do I need to park at Sliding Rock and how far is it?  Can you describe the approach?  Thanks

M McCormick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

The original North Side trail has seen so little use for so long that even if you find it, you will be more or less bush whacking most of the way up. The trail starts across the creek at about halfway up the paved shoulder parking area below Sliding Rock. It might be easier to use the Sliding Rock parking area bridge to cross Looking Glass Creek then head almost due west up the Gumstand Branch drainage. You should fairly quickly hit a logging road. The "new" North Side trail will go left from this.

Brad Caldwell · · Deep in the Jocassee Gorges · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,285

The Forest Service has officially closed the old trail from Sliding Rock and I've heard that they've given tickets to a few folks they caught using it after they closed it many years ago.  You can also get to the North Side by approaching via the East Face and then on to the Hidden Wall and finally to the North Side. 

Curtis Baird · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 177
Brad Caldwell wrote:

The Forest Service has officially closed the old trail from Sliding Rock and I've heard that they've given tickets to a few folks they caught using it after they closed it many years ago.  You can also get to the North Side by approaching via the East Face and then on to the Hidden Wall and finally to the North Side. 

Thanks for the FS update, I did the East Face approach last year but don't think I did it right.  Took a long time but eventually got there.

jeep gaskin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 10

the northside can be accessed from the hikers trail, though it is a beat. once you get on top and the trail levels out you will come to an old fire ring and a scrappy path to the right, which soon turns down. been several years since i walked it but it should be followable and it's sure no bushwack. puts you out on a spur with a view of the hidden wall to the right and front, a leafy gully down to the left and the north side. i walked down from the northside to the old, best campsite in pisgah, 250 yds or so last summer. it still showed signs of once heavy use. hell, i probably spent 100 nights there. kept beer in the creek below the big boulder for years. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Alternative North Side LG approach"
in the Southern States

Log In to Reply