Mountain Project Logo

Belay Puffy

Original Post
Will Avent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I'm looking to get a belay puffy and want to hear what works for other people. I currently own the north face thermoball and find it is simply not enough jacket. I get really cold when I start standing still.  Thoughts? I  prefer synthetic, I live in North Carolina and the weather can get iffy...

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 68

Will Avent wrote:

I'm looking to get a belay puffy and want to hear what works for other people. I currently own the north face thermoball and find it is simply not enough jacket. I get really cold when I start standing still.  Thoughts? I  prefer synthetic, I live in North Carolina and the weather can get iffy...

I don't have a puffy I'm completely happy with, but I will say that one convenience feature I like is having a double zipper, i.e. one that when it's zipped up completely has a zipper at both the top and bottom. This allows you to pull the bottom zipper up a bit to get a gap to access your belay loop without having to pull your coat up. It's a big convenience and it's warmer, and it's something I'd look for.

Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45

I really like my Patagonia Das Parka (120g PrimaLoft with additional 60g PrimaLoft in core areas). I generally bring it any time it's below 50 degrees and never regret it. It's a little bulky for multipitch, but it's worth it to always be comfortable.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

What conditions are we talking about here?

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

If I were in the market for a synthetic winter belay coat, I'd give the Patagonia Hyper Puff Parka, Outdoor Research Perch Belay Jacket, Rab Photon X Jacket and Arc'teryx Dually Belay Jacket some serious thought.  All have their advantages/disadvantages. What type of climbing will you be doing and where? 

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

Rab and OR would have my bets. 

Justin Barrett · · Russellville, AR · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 85

OR Incandescent. Double zip, plenty of room, and Pertex Quantum shell for light weight and good weather protection. Helmet compatible hood. It's supposed to pack into its own hand pocket, but shoving it in the bottom of the pack works just as well and is less hassle

Will Avent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I ordered the perch belay puffy, thanks for the advice. To answer your questions, trad and sport climbing around NC predominantly.

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 180

Arcteryx atom has to be the best light puffy I’ve ever used. You can get which ever version has the amount of insulation for your conditions. I’ve always used the LT but there are heavier ones. 

Light, good fit, good zipper, helmet compatible hood, synthetic insulation, lined hand pockets. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Belay Puffy"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion