Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Recommend any good bouldering (V0) suitable for small kids leavenworth area?

Original Post
Jersey Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

So my wife and I want to get out this year with our kids (3 yo and 2 month old).  Roped climbing is out of the question unless we are with a larger group this season, but bouldering seems like an option for us to go whenever as one of us can play babysitter and the other can climb and not as much hassle if we have to bail quickly when one of the kids decides it’s time to go.

This will also be the 3yos first exposure to outdoor climbing, so it would be fun to find a place with a few super easy climbs in case he wants to get involved. But, we have really only done sport climbing since moving out here so don’t have any first hand experience bouldering in the area.

Was hoping someone might recommend an area that has a shortish hike in, some easy stuff for the 3 yo and some fun for the adults.  Doesn’t even need to be a full problem for the kids, anything with a few easy, slabby holds and a safe, flat landing.

Fred Gomez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 820

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106048999/swiftwater-boulders

Swiftwater Boulders.  We did a trip very similar to the one you're planning, my wife and I, baby and a 3 yo.  It was the middle of summer, so not ideal climbing conditions, but we were lucky to have the boulders all to ourselves to figure things out with the little ones.  There is a great selection of fun easy boulder problems for kids.  I'm guessing they are easy enough that they probably are not even listed in the guidebook or on mountainproject.  Short approach and level pine needle covered forest floor make this a nice safe place for the kids.  As for the climbing for adults, I can hardly remember because we spent the majority of our time wrangling the kids.  It was a great family trip though.  We had marginal success at the forestland as well and tried to get a number of other areas to work for us, but Swiftwater was by far the best set up for our family.

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 305

I don’t have any beta, but good for you for getting out with the little ones!!! It’s the best thing for them (and for mom and dad!).

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 668

There are a few things easy enough for a 3 year old at Swiftwater and plenty for the adults. It is also a pretty nice plce to be and explore. There is access to the water and a big shist cave at the back.

The Machine Gun boulder could be good. It might be pretty challenging for the 3 yo but it is stacked with short 0s and 1s.

In reality any small boulder will do for the little one and any/all areas are littered with random lil blocks.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Recommend any good bouldering (V0) suitable for…"
in the Pacific Northwest