Mountain Project Logo

Sizing of Tenaya Masai vs. Tenaya RA

Original Post
Climber Ben · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hello, does anyone happen to know how the sizing between the Tenaya Masai's and the Tenaya Ra's compare?  Additionally, does anyone have any advice regarding the stretch of Tenaya shoes?  I was able to try on a pair of RA's at 7.5 (normal shoe size 8.5, bought 5.10 moocs in 7.5 that ended up stretching a bit more than I'd like) but they curled my toes to the point where there was pain when I stood up, and indents in my toe knuckles after I took them off.  Unfortunately, there was not a pair of RA's in size 8 that I could try.  Does anyone know about how much stretch the Tenayas have (because I assume there would be minimal due to the synthetic upper)?  Additionally, could anyone tell me about the size relation between the Masai and RA's?  I think I like the Masai's a bit better due to reviews (good micro edging, good for almost everything), and I was thinking of getting them in size 8 (.5 below my shoe size).

Z Winters · · Mazama, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 207

Haven't worn the Ra, but I went a half size down for a good fit with the Masai. Not much stretch. Have you tried Anasazi Pinks? Pretty similar shoe.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,490

Climber Ben wrote:

Hello, does anyone happen to know how the sizing between the Tenaya Masai's and the Tenaya Ra's compare?  Additionally, does anyone have any advice regarding the stretch of Tenaya shoes?  I was able to try on a pair of RA's at 7.5 (normal shoe size 8.5, bought 5.10 moocs in 7.5 that ended up stretching a bit more than I'd like) but they curled my toes to the point where there was pain when I stood up, and indents in my toe knuckles after I took them off.  Unfortunately, there was not a pair of RA's in size 8 that I could try.  Does anyone know about how much stretch the Tenayas have (because I assume there would be minimal due to the synthetic upper)?  Additionally, could anyone tell me about the size relation between the Masai and RA's?  I think I like the Masai's a bit better due to reviews (good micro edging, good for almost everything), and I was thinking of getting them in size 8 (.5 below my shoe size).

For me, it's exactly the same.  I've owned 2 pairs of Masais, 3 Ra and about 5 Intis.  Their fit and sizing, at least to me, is almost exactly the same.  As a matter of fact, I consider the Masai to be the laced version of the Ra.  The Inti too, but the Inti is slightly lower volume.  They're definitely all built on the same last- or at least it feels that way (disclaimer in case I'm completely talking out of my ass).  

Climber Ben · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks!  The 5.10 shoes don't really fit me well due to the shaping of the heel :(  If the fit is around the same I think a size 8 is the safest bet!

Zacks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 15

i'm on my second pair of the ra in size 10, (mildly aggressive fit) and had the inti in a 10 as well which i decided was just slightly too tight so went with the ra instead of upsizing the inti.  I own a pair of the masai in a 10.5 and my toes are totally flat, i got those shoes as a soft trad shoe, so i would estimte the masai runs a half size larger than the ra as it is seriously comphy in only the half size bigger.  I also have a set of the oasi in a 9 which is a aggressive fit but not painful.  I found none of my tenayas streched much but did get more comphy after a few uses basically conforming to your feet just a bit but not really going up in size significantly.  (I've been through a pair of intis and the resole on the intis a pair of ras and had the oasis resoled)

for more comparison i had sportiva miras in a 42 that i decided where too tight (They may have shrunk in thailand cause i used them for 2 resoles before they where too tight) and tc pros in 43 for all day fit and could have done 42.5 for more harder trad, my evolvs where an 11 and my street shoe size is usually 10.5-11 depending on brand, ski boot mondo is 27.5 in scarpa and technica 

if you havn't held a set of the masai it is a seriously soft shoe, just and fyi, like if you think its gonna be a anasazi pink with a better heal think again, more like a lace up moc. also the material may be a little thicker than somthing like the oasi but its still pretty thin, i wouldn't expect durability out of them like you would get with an anasazi.  but they are a nice shoe for delicate sensitive footwork but stand on a sharp knob and ouch you feel it.

Another think to keep in mind is that tenayas are usually touted as being surprisingly comfortable and still climbing very well, and I would agree, so I wouldn't expect to want to size them to the point of pain as that should not be necassary in these shoes

Z Winters · · Mazama, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 207

Zacks wrote:

if you havn't held a set of the masai it is a seriously soft shoe, just and fyi, like if you think its gonna be a anasazi pink with a better heal think again, more like a lace up moc. also the material may be a little thicker than somthing like the oasi but its still pretty thin, i wouldn't expect durability out of them like you would get with an anasazi.  but they are a nice shoe for delicate sensitive footwork but stand on a sharp knob and ouch you feel it.

Perhaps my Masai are sized a bit tighter, but I actually don't find them to be very soft. On warm days, I've found them to hold their stiffness better than Pinks. Nothing like moccs at all in my opinion. Not to say Zacks is wrong, maybe they vary all lot based on how they're fit?

Nate Tastic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

I've tried the Ra and Masai on, but never owned a pair. Also the Osai. (spelling?) The Ra was nice although a bit wide for my narrow feet. The velcro was hanging over like crazy. For some reason I didn't like the material used for the Masai. The tongue area.

Either way they were too small and went back. 

I have a pair of Tatankas in 13.5, which is my usual trail running shoe size, La Sportiva for example (47.5.) I usually wear a 13 US street shoe. Anyway, the 13.5 Tatankas climb amazingly but are still too small. Bend my toes too much and I can only stand them for a very short amount of time. I bet a whole size up would fit me fine. For sure a half size is needed. 

In my opinion they are zero to almost no stretch. They say something to that effect on their website and that for all shoes if I remember right.

I always have to size at or up my shoes so I'm probably not the best person to get advice from on sizing. But expect tiny to no stretch and painful bent toes is probably to be avoided. And this even if you have to go against what some people say about sizing down and instead you should size at or up up until you have a good fit to start. YMMV yada yada yada... 

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

If you have Oasi I would go half up for a Masai. Neither really stretch much, maybe a 1/4 size?

Lothian Buss · · Albany, NY · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 15

Lot of Tenaya love here.

Any of you guys want to buy a pair of Tenaya Inti size 11?

$60 shipped? they might have five gym sessions on them. Great condition, smell fine. Can send pics, whatever.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Sizing of Tenaya Masai vs. Tenaya RA"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion