Mountain Project Logo

Kong Back-Up for use in top rope soloing

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39
Nathan Hui wrote:

I thought these devices had to be tended with one hand for going down?  At least that's what I've been seeing on the Petzl ZigZag product videos, but maybe it's just that one?

It would appear that is the case with this device as well.

Conor Mark · · Asheville, NC · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 690

You would't be able to down climb without bumping it lower as you go, if that's what you mean. But you can descend your line with it at any time, unlike the kong back up.

Ģnöfudør Ðrænk · · In the vicinity of 43 deg l… · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 2
Conor Mark wrote:

From the manual:

"WARNING!The Rope Runner is a work positioning tool. The Rope Runner is NOT A FALL ARREST DEVICE."

Of course that's just another guys opinion.  And it does look like you need to use two hands to rappel much like a gri-gri with one hand on the device and one on the rope.   But at $350 and 4 or more separate parts (you'll drop one sooner or later), I cant see using this for solo top rope.

tooTALLtim · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 1,280

After using the Kong Back-Up a while ago, I finally got out and used it again. Final conclusion: I do NOT like how it rotates on a carabiner, stops feeding, and can become loaded sideways.

More detail:

I was TR soloing Country Club Crack. It traverses up and left for a lot of the pitch, and the Back-Up didn't like that. It kept getting rotated sideways (as shown in my last two photos higher in this thread), and would: stop feeding rope, and I would have to smack it back into the correct orientation; and it would sometimes stay in that rotated orientation and BECOME LOADED as I sat back on the rope. This last issue bugged me, as I'm sure the Back-Up isn't intended to be loaded in this manner, and could possibly lead to a failure!!

I was high on the route, and sat back on the rope to work on some moves. I was weighting the Back-Up when I heard a "POP!" and dropped a few inches. I looked down and saw the Back-Up in the correct position, so I'm assuming that it got loaded sideways, and corrected itself, making a loud noise and dropping me a couple inches. Fucking terrifying. I called it a day and went home, and am now looking into the standard Micro Traxion setup.

Yann Camus · · Blainville, QC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 95
tooTALLtim wrote: ...

It could be the kong backup that jammed in the weird shape of the belay master carabiner... then it straightened out with more load. In that case it is due to the pairing of the carabiner with the kong backup... anyway! Let us know how is your new setup!!! Great review!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Kong Back-Up for use in top rope soloing"