Mountain Project Logo

Joshua Tree Organic Climbing Salve Skin Protection Gift Set

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Talk about a niche market...

http://a.co/ir0pknt

edelweiss · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Kind of expensive. But worth spending the money, given the powerful healing ingredients. 

SeƱor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Actually a really great product. 

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Both the lip balm and the salve are great for healing after climbing.  If you consider climbing products a niche market, climbing shoes would also be a niche market 

Not really sure what the complaint is about, since both products can be used for almost anything.  Lip balm is good for anyone with chapped lips in winter.  And the balm can be great for anyone with a sunburn 

Baba Fats wrote:

Both the lip balm and the salve are great for healing after climbing.  If you consider climbing products a niche market, climbing shoes would also be a niche market 

Not really sure what the complaint is about, since both products can be used for almost anything.  Lip balm is good for anyone with chapped lips in winter.  And the balm can be great for anyone with a sunburn 

Sigh...that went over your head. The niche market being Joshua Tree. Not climbing or skin care products. No complaints at all.

Tapawingo Markey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Nate Tastic wrote:

Sigh...that went over your head. The niche market being Joshua Tree. Not climbing or skin care products. No complaints at all.

Still don't understand, they sell this stuff throughout the US. 

That was what I thought at first.  Then decided it couldn’t be so obvious.  I’m bad at sarcasm and puns online

Sam Deshler · · Southern California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 12

*Only for use inside Joshua Tree National Park*

But in seriousness, it's decent stuff.  I prefer "climbOn" though. 

I'm not a frequent balm user. I have, however, used Badger Balms in the past. Oh, and Tiger Balm way back when, but that's kind of different. I wonder how this compares.

Sam Deshler · · Southern California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 12

I felt the J Tree balm to be more greasy/oily than most.  

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 806
Nate Tastic wrote:

I'm not a frequent balm user. I have, however, used Badger Balms in the past. Oh, and Tiger Balm way back when, but that's kind of different. I wonder how this compares.

JTree stuff is very similar to Badger Balm and Burt's Bee hand salve. It comes down to your preference in consistency, wax/oil ratio, and smell. I much prefer JTree to ClimbOn. ClimbOn is more waxy, while JTree is more greasy. I feel like I can put JTree on the backs of my hands, or even on chapped skin on the face, etc., while ClimbOn seems mostly appropriate for rubbing between palms, I cannot imagine putting the wax ball on my face.

When I started climbing, I used jtree salve. It felt good, but never helped condition my hands as advertised.  I get massive flappers almost every time I climb.  I tried rhino skin solutions, the climb on bar, and climb skin.  Nothing was working.  About 2 weeks ago I got a tube of the liquid climb on.  When I use climb skin right after climbing, and a layer of the liquid climb on before bed, my skin has been good after every session.  

edelweiss · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

A good salve is the one that can be used on all skin - face, lips and hands. When outside it comes handy to have just one container for all needs. In cold weather a waxy balm protecst well. But for repairing purposes the oily consistency is preferable, as oil extracts better than wax the healing components. If ingredients are what stated on the label, JTree will do best to repair damaged skin. Better than ClimbOn or Burts Bees. It contains calendula and comfrey, both very powerful healing herbs. I haven't used any of those as I make my own salve. But if I had to trust the labels, I would go with JTree. 

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 806
Baba Fats wrote:

When I started climbing, I used jtree salve. It felt good, but never helped condition my hands as advertised.  I get massive flappers almost every time I climb.  I tried rhino skin solutions, the climb on bar, and climb skin.  Nothing was working.  About 2 weeks ago I got a tube of the liquid climb on.  When I use climb skin right after climbing, and a layer of the liquid climb on before bed, my skin has been good after every session.  

2 weeks is not exactly a long enough time, but I'm glad it is working for you. I've never heard of the liquid climb on, I'll look it up. Bur I can't remember the last time I had a flapper... a few years? So I guess my regimen works well enough, too? :)

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,455

It was called jtree because it was first invented there, I think, then sold off to a couple in a different state.

Different people will benefit from different salves depending on your skin type but generally you can find cheap generic stuff that will do the same thing.

Normally I’d say 2 weeks isn’t long enough either.  But when I get at least 1 each time I climb (2-3 days a week), none in 2 weeks seems like an eternity.  Everyone’s skin is different.  My buddy has been climbing for 4 years and never got one

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Joshua Tree Organic Climbing Salve Skin Protect…"