Mountain Project Logo

C4 & X4 Rust

Original Post
Fly R · · Upstate, NY · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Just picked up a set of 2014 c4s & x4s second hand but unused. The lobes still had fresh paint. But after a long climbing trip in the desert I washed the sand out of them with a little bit of dish soap. Rinsed, dried and lubricanted with metoluis’ cam lube and stored in a cool dark closet. 

Pulled them out to inspect them before a climbing trip and noticed rust on the axle pins. . Not sure if this is common. 

Curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. 

I find it curious because I have some old wild countries and rock centrics and not a hint of rust on them. They have also went thru the same cleaning process.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Why did the lobes have paint on them?

Fly R · · Upstate, NY · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
FrankPS wrote:

Why did the lobes have paint on them?

“Iodizing” not sure if I spelt it right so went with “paint” instead same idea . . They’re fresh

Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 462

I left a couple cams clipped to my harness and accidentally left them in in a puddle for almost a week. my number one C4 had that same rust and I haven't noticed any negative effects from it. 

And i think you're referring to annodizing.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

A little rust on the axles is normal, Stainless Steel is still prone to rust, just more resistant than carbon steels. Make sure they are fully dry before you put them away next time.

Emory Clark · · Barnstead, NH · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 30

I withstood a what felt like a full on river running over my gear while belaying in the middle of Chapel Pond Slab.  I cleaned and oiled my gear afterwards and still had a bit of rust show up on select pieces.  Before it gets bad you can work out most of the rust with lemon juice and a brillo.  

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Several cams that I have brought up alpine climbs have accrued a little bit of surface rust.  It's not really a concern for me.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "C4 & X4 Rust"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started