Mountain Project Logo

New Found lake nh rock climbing

Original Post
Hans LaCasse · · Canaan, New Hampshire · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

Newfound lake NH Any rock climbing routes known where the ice climbs go up?

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Haven't been there in ages--literally. But in 1980 Al Long and I did a climb up what I recall to be a corner/crack line--seemed the most obvious line on the face--5.8 or 9 and somewhat wide is my hazy recollection.

I know they climb the two corners on the slab close to the road. But I see some thin cracks on the big ledge left of that some real steep vertical thin cracks in some blank stuff. I doubt anyone has climbed these.

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 257

Two, according the MP ... https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106991212/newfound-lake

I usually just go north a few minles and hit up Rumney.

Big Brother was the one we did. Given that we did it in 1980, that was likely before Jim Shimberg did it, but the route is pretty much right off the road and not too hard, so likely done by others before us.

So I'm assuming not much climbed over by bloodline area.

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

Isn't it almost always a horrible choss fest where the ice flows are?   For reasons involving physical principles of rock, water, vegetation, etc.   Like Frankenstein.... complete shit rock all summer.   Black Dike, same goes I believe.    Hard to think of a place where both are good.

Not always Russ. There are some areas that are frequently damp and ice up well in winter, but when they dry out in late summer--and maybe after some level of 'housekeeping', offer great climbing on excellent rock. I know of a number of examples of this here in western Mass., but it is true elsewhere as well.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Rumnmy, cathedral,   Poco ,  Kinsman, etc.   

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

Rumnmy, cathedral,   Poco ,  Kinsman, etc.   

Maple

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

I hear ya, Rumney, cathedral, as examples, but often the precise location of the ice flow is a crappy rock, mossy, or a dank gully.    Look at Goofer's, and how about Farley, I recall the ice forms in spots that are not rock climbs.   (Yes there are exceptions).  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "New Found lake nh rock climbing"
in the Northeastern States