Mountain Project Logo

Banff/Glacier National Parks Question

Original Post
Garrett Logan · · Hickory, North Carolina · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 165

Hi all I am taking a trip to glacier and Banff National Parks this summer in late July.  I am from NC and have a decent amount of experience with leading multipitch trad as well as top roping.  I am traveling with my grandpa and sister and neither one of them climb.  I was wondering if anybody knows of any trails that would be good for having sections where you could do some technical third or fourth class scrambling in like some climbing shoes, but something not serious enough to bring a rope and gear.  Any help and or guidance would be awesome!!!

Thanks Garrett

Beean · · Canmore, AB · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Markuso · · Fernie · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 95

pick up scrambling in the Canadian Rockies and More Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies, there are tons of 3rd and 4th class routes in Banff area.  A few of the more popular ones are Ha LIng (mostly a hike), Mount Lady Macdonald, Mt. Yamnuska and East End of Rundle.

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 43

I assume you mean approach shoes or hikers, because scrambling in the Rockies in climbing shoes would be a sufferfest. There are some peaks - Ha Ling, Heart Mountain - on the front range that hit might be second and third class, and appropriate for less than equipped parties. 

Keep in mind that anything that's third or fourth class in the Rockies will probably have some pretty serious rockfall hazard and helmets would be a minimum requirement.

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 237

Do you mean Glacier National Park in BC, or the one in Montana? For the one in BC you could try to get a copy of this guidebook: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5033-748/Rogers-Pass-Alpine-Guide. It's a great place for hiking, and there are some great climbs (including one of the 50 classics, the NW ridge of Sir Donald). However, there aren't many beginner scrambles, and many of the approaches involve glacier travel. Also bear in mind that the trails "go uphill as if they mean it", as it says in an old guidebook, which may limit your choices depending on your family's fitness level.

Garrett Logan · · Hickory, North Carolina · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 165

I will be starting in glacier park in Montana and then working up into Alberta and heading towards Banff.  I appreciate all the suggestions and yes the fitness level of my family does impede what I can do.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Banff/Glacier National Parks Question"
in the Pacific Northwest