Mountain Project Logo

Is the Vegas climbing scene really this lame?

Original Post
Locals Only · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,110

It’s so hard to tell parody from reality online these days, somebody please set me straight?

“Hey matt, like, bite the rope for this shot bro”

As a young teenage girl might say: “ I can’t even”

Climb Soft Spray Hard · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 149

Are the mountain project climbing forums really this lame? Oh...right....

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an… · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

You would be wise to reevaluate using instagram to make judgements on reailty. 

I just wonder if they have any caring friends that could do an intervention of sorts.  That crew is likely all very nice people, yet obviously very misguided.  Maybe they just don’t know any better?

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an… · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

I am friends with all of those people. I just go climbing : /

Rob Warden...Space Lizard wrote:

I am friends with all of those people. I just go climbing : /

You are?  Fantastic, then you are positioned to help.  I was hoping you’d say it was parody, but it seems like it’s not.  Let them know it’s not their fault, and we are rooting for their recovery.  Hell, I’ll even start a gofundme if needed. 

If they want to try and leverage instgram into some kind of  notoriety or lucre. Its not my place to tell them they are wrong. Matt is a nice guy, Irene is a great photographer and a great friend, Ashley and Danny are great people. Aliyse is a strong and cool lady. 

Honestly, if you can get paid to model on Instagram as an influencer... Fuck it? The hole pwr bar thing is a bit garish, but meh. 

Like i said, i go climbing and work my jobs yada yada.  

What would you have me do?

Sean Haynes · · Los Angeles · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 106

Addem Bursh wrote:

You are?  Fantastic, then you are positioned to help.  I was hoping you’d say it was parody, but it seems like it’s not.  Let them know it’s not their fault, and we are rooting for their recovery.  Hell, I’ll even start a gofundme if needed. 

She's a great photographer. 

Not sure what the issue is other than you being kind of a dick about it. Don't we all aspire to get paid doing what we love?

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Don't we all aspire to get paid doing what we love?

No. I don't want fun to become work.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,325

Hipsters rule, haters drool.

Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 110

dont they say the best climbers are the ones having the most fun?
they look like theyre having fun...

go fight em burchy!

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 331

Addem Bursh wrote:

Is the Vegas climbing scene really this lame?

As if , we’re totes the coolest around. Way more lit than those nerds in Jtree or those geeks in Yosemite. #KingsOfTheWest 

Also you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone in Vegas that’s going to hate on Irene.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,180

Nicholas Gillman wrote:

As if , we’re totes the coolest around. Way more lit than those nerds in Jtree or those geeks in Yosemite. #KingsOfTheWest 

Also you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone in Vegas that’s going to hate on Irene.

I know one. But he’s in the bushes peeping.

Yosemite geeks? I always thought of it as a clique of loner apes who finally found their band. Nerds? Wait. Are you perchance in 5th grade?

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 331

Colonel Mustard wrote:

I know one. But he’s in the bushes peeping.

Yosemite geeks? I always thought of it as a clique of loner apes who finally found their band. Nerds? Wait. Are you perchance in 5th grade?

Either my joke was lost on you.... or your joke was lost on me....it’s not entirely clear ... either way I assure you I am not in the 5th grade. 

Honestly, if you can get paid to model on Instagram as an influencer.

Hold up.  Someone is paying these guys for this?  That's even more concerning, in my estimation.  Again, nobody is calling them bad people, but carrying on in such a manner is embarrassing.  I don't have any close friends that operate like this, but acquaintances with similar behavior, and I've called them out accordingly.  On top of all this, if they crank the saturation on those photos any further, my rods and cones are going to start bleeding.  

go fight em burchy!

You may find this hard to believe, but I didn't even consider that option.  Maybe I can just get Hillis to go do it?  Dude is a scrapper.

LOL

Also you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone in Vegas that’s going to hate

Nobody is talking about hate here, nobody hates anyone.  I'm talking about LOVE, baby!  Like, if they are your friends, and you love them, HELP them.  It's the same as if your buddy had a drinking problem, or gambling, or whatever.  You'd step in if you gave a crap.  

I'm not trying to be a dick here - I point out things in people that they're uncomfortable with, and that usually leads to conflict instead of self-analysis or introspection.  People are defensive and insecure as the norm, which are both barriers to change and growth.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,325

Addem Bursh wrote:

Honestly, if you can get paid to model on Instagram as an influencer.

Hold up.  Someone is paying these guys for this?  That's even more concerning, in my estimation.  Again, nobody is calling them bad people, but carrying on in such a manner is embarrassing.  I don't have any close friends that operate like this, but acquaintances with similar behavior, and I've called them out accordingly.  On top of all this, if they crank the saturation on those photos any further, my rods and cones are going to start bleeding.  

go fight em burchy!

You may find this hard to believe, but I didn't even consider that option.  Maybe I can just get Hillis to go do it?  Dude is a scrapper.

LOL

Also you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone in Vegas that’s going to hate

Nobody is talking about hate here, nobody hates anyone.  I'm talking about LOVE, baby!  Like, if they are your friends, and you love them, HELP them.  It's the same as if your buddy had a drinking problem, or gambling, or whatever.  You'd step in if you gave a crap.  

I'm not trying to be a dick here - I point out things in people that they're uncomfortable with, and that usually leads to conflict instead of self-analysis or introspection.  People are defensive and insecure as the norm, which are both barriers to change and growth.

At least they aren't covered in bad tattoos like half of San Diego.

Tradiban wrote:

You're not welcome in this thread, it's for Vegas locals only braj

Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 110

Addem Bursh wrote:

You'd step in if you gave a crap.  

I'm not trying to be a dick here - I point out things in people that they're uncomfortable with, and that usually leads to conflict instead of self-analysis or introspection.  People are defensive and insecure as the norm, which are both barriers to change and growth.

who's really the uncomfortable one here?

isn't embarrassment a personal thing? who's really embarrassed? 

if you're not into kittens and rainbows and hipsters, then isn't that your deal, and not theirs?

-and i agree with the conflict part, but exactly what do they need to analyze? if they've found a way to get paid and do what they love, whose issue is this really?

...wait, ok. if this happened at my local crag, i'd find it disconcerting, but from afar i have no problem with what they're doing...am i catching on? but i dont think embarrassment would be the word i'd use...

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,180

Tradiban wrote:

Yes, Vegas, bastion of good taste.

Downtownt Kay wrote:

who's really the uncomfortable one here?

isn't embarrassment a personal thing? who's really embarrassed? 

if you're not into kittens and rainbows and hipsters, then isn't that your deal, and not theirs?

-and i agree with the conflict part, but exactly what do they need to analyze? if they've found a way to get paid and do what they love, whose issue is this really?

...wait, ok. if this happened at my local crag, i'd find it disconcerting, but from afar i have no problem with what they're doing...am i catching on? but i dont think embarrassment would be the word i'd use...

Who's embarrassed?  More of us should be, as this reflects poorly on so many groups.  Young people.  Climbers.  Residents of Las Vegas.  Actual spokespeople.  You all keep mentioning "getting paid"...I'd love to see a paystub for any of this.

If I have to explain to you why it's wack, perhaps you are part of the reason this stuff gets a pass?  No offense, of course.  There's a reason terrible bands play on the radio, because there are a ton of people out there with terrible taste.  This lies in the same vein.

If you really want to pull your eyeballs out, check out this cat (literally):  https://www.instagram.com/jjyosh/

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Is the Vegas climbing scene really this lame?"
in the Community Forum