Mountain Project Logo

The Future of Climbing Gear and the Death of Trad and Sport

Original Post
Billy Danger · · Asheville, NC · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 236

I just had this crazy, apocalyptic  vision about the future of trad gear. What if trad gear becomes so light and technologically advanced that it can be placed anywhere? What if cracks are no longer needed to place bomber pro? What if the pro of the future can be placed on and removed from completely blank faces? Would sport climbing still exist? Would bold climbing still exist? I envision this pro being a combination of an adhesive, slime-like substance attached to a hanger. 

And so what will are sport look like in 50 years? Ropes will hopefully be slim, endless strands of feather-like silk that are disseminated from a Gri Gri 1000, which also serves as a silent partner and a life-coach. Rock shoes will morph to conform to individual holds, however the dap-proof ones will cost extra. Chalk will not be needed, as a sending-conditions creator will surround climbers of the future, remove all humidity from the immediate surroundings, and cool or heat the ambient temperature to 51 degrees. 

Even taking a dump outside will be expedited for future climbers. They will wear a diaper that will actually biodegrade instantly, leaving a small amount of earthen clay that gently floats away in the breeze (that's generated by the aforementioned sending-conditions creator). Am I missing anything? 

Jack C. · · Calgary, AB · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

A significant other?

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 217

Shitty weather keeping you inside? I’d say Move to CA.. BUT locals only 

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,475

You just made Orwell look like a gumby.  The horror.

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10
Billy Danger wrote:

Would bold climbing still exist? 

Sure, even your condition bubble wouldn’t be able to change major weather systems in the high peaks. 

I must confess, the image of all the never were’s freaking out about the elimination of their contrived (GRAWND UP!!!) drama, moderate face routes made me chuckle a little. 

Alex R · · Golden · Joined May 2015 · Points: 18

Whisper quite (but still not completely silent) drones everywhere, getting epic footage of you sending your top rope project. Leading is a lost art. You have a rope gun drone that will place the rope and pro for you.

Mark Dalen · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 935

Didn't somebody rocking a f**kton of chains already show us the future of climbing ... ?

Mark P. · · Luzern, Schweiz · Joined May 2013 · Points: 536

Sounds more like the evolution of climbing rather than the death of it. Or should we mourn the loss of hobnail boots, knickers, and hemp ropes as the death of the "real" climbing ethic?

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 850
Jack C. wrote:

A significant other?

Maybe my favorite MP post of the last year

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

"Chalk will not be needed"

I will never stop using it!

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 125

Old school vs hover boots... let the debate begin.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Tim Lutz wrote:

in the future, I predict the Trad climbers will utilize sport and even boudlering techniques to achieve higher grades

You mean like Caldwell, Jorgeson, and Ondra did on Dawn Wall? Or Hill on The Nose?

I see what you did there.

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470
Matt Himmelstein wrote:

Old school vs hover boots... let the debate begin.

Now that was a classic scene. In the future, free soloing was commonplace even for fat Star Fleek Admirals.

Garrett R. · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 40

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

As a guide I'm preparing for my job to be automated. Amazon Belay. I wonder if it will be included in your Prime subscription or if it will be an add-on...

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

I’m just waiting for my Honn-Solo pack.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Garrett R. wrote:

I almost forgot about good..

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "The Future of Climbing Gear and the Death of Tr…"
in the General Climbing