Mountain Project Logo

Looking for info on an accident

Original Post
eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

I remember reading a thread on here about an accident that occured because a climber failed to retie a figure 8 when lowering and instead tied only a single overhand "backup knot". The knot held her initially but after being lowered a little bit it unraveled and the climber decked.

I've been trying to find the thread using the search function but haven't had any luck. I'm not positive, but I think the accident took place in the desert, somewhere like RR or moab or st george area. I'm pretty sure the climber was a female as well, but not 100% sure. This thread would have been posted some time between 2013 and now, but I think it's somewhere in the '14 to '16 range.

If any of y'all remembers this thread and could offer some keywords for the search function or better yet a link that would be very helpful. 

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,122
eli poss wrote:

I remember reading a thread on here about an accident that occured because a climber failed to retie a figure 8 when lowering and instead tied only a single overhand "backup knot". The knot held her initially but after being lowered a little bit it unraveled and the climber decked.

I've been trying to find the thread using the search function but haven't had any luck. I'm not positive, but I think the accident took place in the desert, somewhere like RR or moab or st george area. I'm pretty sure the climber was a female as well, but not 100% sure. This thread would have been posted some time between 2013 and now, but I think it's somewhere in the '14 to '16 range.

If any of y'all remembers this thread and could offer some keywords for the search function or better yet a link that would be very helpful. 

I didn't look it up, but I seem to remember an accident like you described at the slips area in big cottonwood canyon UT, might be a place to start?

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 300
eli poss wrote:

I think this might be what you're thinking of...

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112019816/maple-canyon-accident

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 14,449
eli poss wrote:

Nah...was in Maple Canyon.  Schoolroom area I recall.  Sad deal.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 14,449
eli poss wrote:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112019816/maple-canyon-accident

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

Awesome, thank you optimistic and brian. 

jackii · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 10

It was my post as per the link shared above

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Looking for info on an accident"
in the Injuries and Accidents