Mountain Project Logo

Interested in many adventure sports

Brent B · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks for the additional input. After some thought, I think it's best to focus on a couple of these at a time. It could get crazy trying to get good at all of these all at once. I think 2018 will be focused on skiing, rock climbing, and backpacking. In 2019 I'll probably put more focus on the others. 

Fernando Cal · · CA, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 5

Just embrace them all. Like someone else said, depending where you live you can do some of those activities during the week and not just be a "weekend warrior". I follow weather patterns. When the waves are good, I surf. When they suck, i scuba or kayak. If the waves suck and the weather is not too hot (anything under 80 degrees), i go climbing. If waves suck, and it's cold and i cant find a climbing partner, i head to the mountains. When I'm injured from said activities, i read about said activities (or login to MP). During the week I run, swim, bike, surf, dive, depending on weather. As long as you're doing something you enjoy, it shouldn't matter. Just do you. 

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Advice:

Take up WW kayaking if you have the rivers nearby, its awesome. You'll start out pathetic, you'll capsize for no reason, you'll float down upside down afraid that you're going to drown on that beginners section, but keep at it and soon you'll be paddling things you couldn't imagine. I found skill and grade progression in kayaking much faster than in climbing too.

Haven't found a sport that's  as intense yet has so few injuries. (MTB can be pretty intense, but that's caused me more injuries than everything else I've done added together).

Jason Eberhard · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 71

I was in a similar situation getting into adventure sports.  I live in Atlanta so the Skiing/Snowboarding is lower on my list but I've prioritized them this way.  I actually started climbing to get away from impact sports since my knees have taken a beating from lacrosse all the way thru college.  I look at these sports as ones I can hopefully enjoy for the next 20 years+

1.  Rock Climbing - Got into about four years ago and love it.  I try to go to the gym at least twice a week and get outdoors as often as possible.  Keeps me in decent overall shape and has been very low injury (just a couple finger tweaks).

2.  Mountain Biking - I have a hard-tail 29er I ride primarily for exercise on trails and dedicated lanes.  There are a lot of paved trails and some easy MTB singletrack near where I live.  The 29er is perfect for that and you could pick up a decent on for under $300 used.  I tend to mix in long rides on the weekends when it's too hot to climb down here.

3.  Backpacking - Go a couple times a year, hopefully going more with wife and kid now that he's six.

4.  Mountaineering - Working on building the skill base for this with trad climbing and lots of reading.  I do want to get on some technical summits in the future.

5.  Skiing / Snowboard - I do both but not very frequently.  Switched to snowboarding after college because it feels better on my knees.  Cost and time prohibitive for me currently.

6.  Whitewater Kayaking - I figure I'll save this for when my knees don't let me do the other sports pleasurably.  Have gone before and like it.

A lot of these sports make you better at the others.  Balance from climbing helps snowboarding, leg strength and cardio capacity from biking will make you a better mountaineer, endurance in your forearms from climbing makes MTB easier to name a few.

outofstep80 · · Manitowoc · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0

If you live in an area where surfing is an option I highly recommend throwing that into the mix.  I was in the same boat as you.  Too many hobbies.  I decided to give up a few as living in central WI (but on the cost) it seems like I have to drive 3 hours to do anything I really enjoy.  Once I had kids I didn't want to be gone 3 times a week.  You just have to figure out what you really like.    

Matt Sutinen · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
outofstep80 wrote:

If you live in an area where surfing is an option I highly recommend throwing that into the mix.  I was in the same boat as you.  Too many hobbies.  I decided to give up a few as living in central WI (but on the cost) it seems like I have to drive 3 hours to do anything I really enjoy.  Once I had kids I didn't want to be gone 3 times a week.  You just have to figure out what you really like.    

I hear ya there.  Being from the Milwaukee area is kind of a drag.  At least there's adventure rock so I can get in some gym climbing!

outofstep80 · · Manitowoc · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0
Matt Sutinen wrote:

I hear ya there.  Being from the Milwaukee area is kind of a drag.  At least there's adventure rock so I can get in some gym climbing!

I'm about 1.5 hours north, just south of Manitowoc.  Should've had good waves down by you the past 2 days.  

Tony Cummins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

My 2 cents,

Brent here is my background first, I’m 51, father of a teenager, husband, work 40 hours a week (but I work 4/10’s so I get longer weekends that can come in very handy for weekend road Trips), live in Utah.  These are the activities I gear me and my family up for. Skiing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, climbing, fly-fishing, Stand up paddling, motorcycles, camping, backpacking/hiking. Dedicated weekend warrior. Except for hiking I think climbing for us is the least expensive and gear intensive activity (were new to climbing so don’t need a lot of equipment yet as well) compared to the others. All these activities alone could break the bank for me so I had to decide what my main interest is and what activities I was using to get me buy till I could do my main passion again. For instance, was I a skier that was mountain biking in the summer till i could ski again, or am I a mountain biker that skis in the winter.  This might sound silly but this helps me to decide where i’m going to spend money on gear, for example buy a new full suspension mountain bike or just keep repairing my old one and buy a new light weight backcountry skiing set up instead.  Personally I (and my son) focus on skiing/ backcountry skiing and the other activities gets us buy till we can ski again.
I want us to do more climbing because out of all these activities climbing to me appears to be the “purest” in that there is less gear needed and you actually have your hands on the rock where everything else we do requires some device to enjoy it that is between the user and the ground or the snow or the water.  In climbing your gear is only for safety for the most part, IMO. Of course safety in any activity is number one so we don’t cut corners on climbing gear and I will spend money on guides and classes to show me how to take my family climbing safely. But to my main point is, for me, I had to decide what our main activity was and what was secondary, mostly for budgeting on gear.

P.S. I have to add I’m a poorly recovering gear junkie and proud member of gear junkies anonymous, so any activity I get involved with I will usually go overboard on gear. 

Rokjox Teleski · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

Guy, I do alla them things, except for wet water sports  (I used to snorkle but who lives near warm water now?)

And some other things.    I could be fun for awhile.  But I am too far away to be any use to you.  However, I promise that doing a lot of different stuff is the way to go.  If its wet you do one thing, if its dry you do something else.  If its hot or cold or short or long days, you got some alternatives.   And if the guy you just met is afraid of heights, you can still have some fun with him.   Eventually you get all the gear you want, its only a mess for a while.

You need to review the caves in NC, you can get a lot out of them out there.  You just gotta find a way away from the grottoes, they kill adventure sporters.  But you are in/near the Mecca for caving.

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 41

Not  sure which is stupider , white water paddling  or ice  climbing, they are so addictive.   I have nearly died doing  both, and I still  participate although I  have become more  conservative(at  61  yrs old)

Hank Caylor · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 615

If it doesn't involve burros, you might as well just go boogie boarding with a snorkle..

El Gato · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 41

I have all those toys  and use them, a lot of them over lap.  While  I can ski 30 days in a row. I run out of skin on my finger tips after a few days, I prefer ww kayaking to mountain  biking but at the higher levels it is extreemly dangerous,  even  more than ice climbing,  but its those moments that let you know you are alive

Joseph Fletcher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Skiing and Rockclimbing...Though i really like other sports as well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Interested in many adventure sports"