Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Take These 40 Hours and Shove It - Philosophical Contemplation

Original Post
Frau Larsenhosen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

Have you found yourself to be in your mid 30's and wondering..."It is just too hard to work 40 hours a week at a job". There has to be more out there like unicorns, rainbows, Smurfs, and cheesy bread. How can one weigh the futility of being unemployed to climb full time with the knowledge that your potential partners themselves have full time employment?  Would it be a waste of your precious unemployed existence to wait around 5 or more days per week for the excitement of a belay? 

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 50

Yeah.

I've been thinking for some time we're actually somewhat dumb in terms of workplace arrangement and lifestyle balance. It's not like a couple decades/centuries back, when just in order to get some shelter, food & the basics, you would HAVE to work and do stuff all the time. We are, collectively, producing a whole bunch of crap. We could use that productivity to get more time and off and work, say, 3.5 or 4 days a week. Seems to me that from a materialistic perspective, decent conformt shouldn't be that expensive, time-wise.

But no. Let's keep working most of our lives aways, but hey the newest iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack how nice...

David Kutassy · · Charlottesville, VA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

I've worked the standard 9 to 5 schedule, four 10 hour shifts and I'm currently on three 12 hour shifts per week.

By far the worst was four 10 hour days. Most of Friday was spent recovering and you don't really have enough time to do anything during the week like you do an 8 hour shift.

So far my three 12 hour shifts have been great. Don't have time to do much of anything between shifts but four full days off per week is awesome.

Brady3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 15

"Owing to the productivity of machines, much less work than was formerly necessary is now needed to maintain a tolerable standard of comfort in the human race. Some careful writers maintain that one hour's work a day would suffice, but perhaps this estimate does not take sufficient account of Asia. I shall assume, in order to be quite sure of being on the safe side, that four hours' work a day on the part of all adults would suffice to produce as much material comfort as reasonable people ought to desire.

At present, however, owing to the operation of the profit motive, leisure cannot be distributed evenly: some are overworked, while others are wholly unemployed. This results as follows: the value of the wage-earner to the employer depends upon the amount of work he does, which, so long as the hours do not exceed seven or eight, is supposed by the employer to be proportional to the length of the working day. The wage-earner, on the other hand, prefers a rather long day at good wages to a very short one at much lower wages. Hence it suits both parties to have a long working day, leaving those who, in consequence, are unemployed to starve or to be cared for by the public authorities at the public expense.

Since the majority of the human race do not, at present, reach a reasonable level of material comfort, an average of less than four hours' work a day, wisely directed, would suffice to produce what is now produced in the way of necessaries and simple comforts. That means that, if the average working day for those who have work is eight hours, more than half the workers would be unemployed if it were not for certain forms of inefficiency and unnecessary production. To take first inefficiency: we have already seen some of the waste involved in competition, but we must add to this all that is spent in advertising and all the very skilled work that goes into marketing. Nationalism involves another kind of waste: American automobile manufacturers, for example, find it necessary, owing to tariffs, to establish works in the principal European countries, whereas it would obviously save labour if they could produce all their cars in one huge establishment in the United States. Then there is the waste involved in armaments, and in military training, which involves the whole male population wherever there is compulsory military service. Thanks to these and other forms of extravagance, together with the luxuries of the rich, more than half the population is still employed. But so long as our present system lasts, every step towards the elimination of waste can only make the plight of the wage-earners even worse than it is now." - Bertrand Russell 1935

Nate Tastic · · 88,4,108,50, 80 · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Plus, once you can't afford to pay your cell and internet bills you will have more free time to climb. No more worthless posting to MP at 9 at night. You can sleep and rise with the Sun.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 135

Move soewhere that gives you more climbing (or skiing/biking/hiking/scuba/sailing/fishing...) opportuities in the mornings or afternoons, work a more flexible schedule so you can take longer trips, rethink your career so you can integrate what you like to do with what you have to do, or reassess what you want out of life.  You don't have to bein your 30s to have these issues come up.

I go to a gym where I can pull on plastic after work and live in So Cal which is close enough where I can get out for day and weekend trips to some of the best climbing anywhere.  My wife and I are not into the same outdoor activities, but we have vastly differnt work schedules, so my off time tends to be relatively open to what I want to do.  But I also want to have a comfortable life when I am not climbing, generally like the field in which I am employed, and have other things in my life that would make me not want to live the van life.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Take These 40 Hours and Shove It - Philosophica…"
in the General Climbing