Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

I will make you gear

Original Post
Aidan Raviv · · South Pasadena, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 100

Hello internet,

You know that sick gear idea you have that would be perfect if you knew how to sew/had the time/ironed out the kinks? I like to sew and make stuff and have a lot of time on my hands these days. I want to make your dream gear item a real gear item. 

If you send me your ideas, I'll tell you what I think and what materials to send me (or you can venmo and I can buy them) along with a little plan and I will make your thing if you pay for the materials! Wow! What a sick deal!

What do I get out of this? I keep the scraps, I might make myself one of your things and I get to make your dreams come true which is what it's all about. 

I can also solder, machine some stuff and work with wood so feel free to get weird. This is a real thing I want to do so please do hit me up. 

Caveat: no, I will not make you safety gear because that's sketch.

Jon LostVegan · · SL,UT · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

I really want some Russian style aiders (both the “trees” and the foot/leg hook harness) with metal hook loops. I’ve seen a few how-to’s online but they aren’t exactly what I’m looking for. I want something higher quality... like the fish Russian aid ladders.

Lemme know.

Chris Blatchley · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

do you have access to a bar tacker?

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

I would like a double axle cam with ten lobes (close in size to a bd #1). Thank you!

rocknice2 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,067

Can you do custom fit ice climbing gloves?

Karl Henize · · Sierra Eastside · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 643
Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30

I'm here purely out of curiousity, but at least for serious inquirers' benefit can you post pics of other things you've made?

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 50

My idea (patent pending) is a backpack/harness. So you dont need to worry about fiddling with either when you climb.

Also, harness/backpack/pants. Just put it on, and you are set for the whole day. 

Any venture capitalists want to fund my startup that sells these?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
rafael wrote:

My idea (patent pending) is a backpack/harness. So you dont need to worry about fiddling with either when you climb.

Also, harness/backpack/pants. Just put it on, and you are set for the whole day. 

Any venture capitalists want to fund my startup that sells these?

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2013/07/mammut-realization-pants.html

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 50
Marc801 C wrote:

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2013/07/mammut-realization-pants.html

that was the inspiration for my idea. 

But with the backpack attached, its even better

Chris Blatchley · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
rafael wrote:

that was the inspiration for my idea. 

But with the backpack attached, its even better

so you can't take out lunch or your belay parka without disconnecting from your system? hmm...

Jon LostVegan wrote:

I really want some Russian style aiders (both the “trees” and the foot/leg hook harness) with metal hook loops. I’ve seen a few how-to’s online but they aren’t exactly what I’m looking for. I want something higher quality... like the fish Russian aid ladders.

Lemme know.

I googled it and it looks doable but please send me some links to or drawings of what you want in particular.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 324
Chris Blatchley wrote:

so you can't take out lunch or your belay parka without disconnecting from your system? hmm...

"Hold on, it's getting cold. Let me take off my pants so I can get my fleece."

Chris Blatchley wrote:

do you have access to a bar tacker?

Not unless you have $2500 for me. I know how to sew bar tacks with a regular machine but like I said in the first post, I won't be making anything that would need a legit bartack for fall-level forces.

Karl Henize wrote:

Ice axe wings that will fit a Fuel or Nomic ice tool?  

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114018204/tools-for-climbing-steep-unconsolidated-snow-cornices#ForumMessage-114019420 

I might know someone who could do that but I'll have to ask. A bit beyond the scope of what I am trying to do here for free as that would take some actual engineering and time. :)

rocknice2 wrote:

Can you do custom fit ice climbing gloves?

I don't think I could make adequate gloves from scratch but if you needed alterations done on real gloves I could def help you with that.

Aidan Louie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
Joshua Dee wrote:

I'm here purely out of curiousity, but at least for serious inquirers' benefit can you post pics of other things you've made?

Yeah sure. Here is a pretzel belay glove for my brake hand that I use for ~5 hours/day ~4 days/week. The cuff/pull loop separated from the palm completely so I stitched it back on and added a reinforcement going directly from the box reinforcement on the palm to the pull loop. I've been using this glove about 4 months since the repair with 0 issues. Also, this was done in an afternoon before a climbing trip so while it's a bit messy, I have made prettier things when I had more time.

The whole seam visible in this picture was torn from the glove.
Shown here: 1' webbing reinforcement from an old slackline sewn to palm and pull loop. Note binding stitch toward finger side to prevent fraying and folding while keeping a next to skin level of comfort.
 Here I used a slightly stretcher stitch to accommodate the elastic of the cuff. 

This was actually an interesting repair because the glove was so worn from my sweaty hands/abuse. It's always kinda weird doing sewing on things that have been broken in but it's bomber now and I think the palm will crack and be gross long before the repaired part breaks. 

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90

How about an elastic band that goes over ankles and can be tie/clip to climbing shoes? For those long routes, I want to be able to take my shoes off without losing them.

Aidan Louie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
Joshua Dee wrote:

Here is a rope bag/tarp that I kinda made as a joke but actually turned out to be really nice for the gym. 

It has two little shoe pockets and unzips to go flat for use as a tarp (not quite big enough for a 70 bit plenty big for a 40 at least for my taste). When I go to the gym I typically bring only 1 pair of shoes, rope, harness and water around with me and leave the rest in a cubby or locker so I don't really need more designated storage but I may add some just for fun.

Bag fully loaded. In bag mode there's a lot of space for extra crap but in tarp mode you probably don't want to leave your extra stuff in it unless it's in the pockets.

Seen here with normal gym stuff. Detail of the vented shoe pockets later. 

Unzipping the vertical zipper to flatten this side. Zipper ends not finished because I thought I might move the zipper but haven't made up my mind.

Detail of zip and zip pull opposer string (whatever that's called) so you have something to pull against. 

Seen here in tarp mode. Good for dragging around the gym so I don't have to constantly re flake. Handles are also in the pulling axis so the bag stays pretty flat when I drag it around. Also, eventually the black fabric on the right will have two zippered pockets near the butterfly and on the opposite panel. Not done yet because I ran out of zippers but you can see it's already stitched to accommodate the pockets. These will open upwards when the bag is in bag mode so they'll still be accessible like the shoe pockets. 

I've been using this bag in the gym about 4 days a week for a few months with no durability issues and I haven't polished it quite yet since I'm still thinking of more features I want. At some point I plan to sell something like this but I don't think it's there yet. 

The other reason it looks like it does is it was made from scraps of fabric and parts including: a burnt chair back, a 10 year old sweatshirt (grey zip), a recycled zipper (blue zip), and miscellaneous string. Thread color was chosen to make it easier to rip out and modify the design which I never ended up doing. 

Wow I guess I have 2 mtn proj accounts but those are some samples. 

Kemper Brightman · · Tucson · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 2,011

Hey I have this super innovative idea that I think you could help with. It's like a t-shirt but it's different because it has a pocket sewn on the chest that your cliff-bar can go in. You could also put other things in the pocket too, if you wanted. 

Let me know if you can help. I'm also working on a concept for a pair of shorts. They will be long-ish khaki shorts with larger than normal "cargo" pockets for gear on both sides. Should work well ( and look good) with the t-shirt. Let me know if you have any input on my visor design as well. It's like a visor, only you wear it upside down.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "I will make you gear"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion