Mountain Project Logo

C3's discontinued?

Rob D. · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30
eli poss wrote:

Was this at the horizontal that protects the top of passages? 

No but we also climbed that!  I think that that traverse was protected by a .5ish cam?  A fall there would be into the wall but it seemed pretty chill for the grade past the corner.  It was our first time at T-Wall and we were all very impressed (and I was very impressed with the c3)

AL . · · UT · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 120

My buddy who's a design engineer at BD said there is no plan to replace the C3. The x4 does a decent job replacing the green and red c3 but there's not a cam out there that replaces the 000 and 00 when it comes to hard thin trad. Big bummer for basalt climbing.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 487
Rob D. wrote:

No but we also climbed that!  I think that that traverse was protected by a .5ish cam?  A fall there would be into the wall but it seemed pretty chill for the grade past the corner.  It was our first time at T-Wall and we were all very impressed (and I was very impressed with the c3)

Yeah, I think I used a black tricam there, which I think is roughly the same size as a red c3. A red tri-cam would have worked better but I'd already placed it lower down. For me pulling that roof in the corner at the top was the crux. T-wall is great, probably the highest quality rock I've ever climbed on. I just wish there was multi-pitch. 

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 867
Aaron Livingston wrote:

My buddy who's a design engineer at BD said there is no plan to replace the C3. The x4 does a decent job replacing the green and red c3 but there's not a cam out there that replaces the 000 and 00 when it comes to hard thin trad. Big bummer for basalt climbing.

Bummer.  I heard they were redesigning them.  Perhaps false. Maybe I’ll pick up a few more. 

steveoxley oxley · · Winter Park, Colorado · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 15

I like the idea of the three cam unit, like a three legged ladder, very stable. I would like to see totem make a nice narrow three cam unit. 

kendallt · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 98
Rob D. wrote:

it's a perfect typo so I'm leaving it. 

I placed, climbed up and left and when I fell I swung right a good bit.  The leftmost lobe umbrellaed (horizontal crack that probably could have used an offset) but the other two lobes held.  Was very happy.  The pieces below it were bigger and probably better but whatever, the cam held. 

I was belaying my buddy once on P38 in the Gunks, who whipped on the green C3 (technically whipped on the purple first, but that blew). It flipped a lobe as well, but it held.

They have stoppers to keep the lobe from flipping, but I don't think they're rated for passive placements.

Sadly the cam was retired after that.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "C3's discontinued?"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion