Mountain Project Logo

Devils lake question

Original Post
CRAG-list-KILLA · · Wisconsin · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 205

Hey guys looking for routes at the lake at a moderate grade to learn and practice aid climbing on. Also while you at it throw in the route you would consider a must do while there classic or not thanks as always!

Everett · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 25

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/106992332/dl-winter-aid-climbing has some good info. Basically, super well protected classics..

I've been running laps on Peter's Project recently. Almost all the placements are bomber, but there's opportunities for beaks and things -- and you can really get practice high up in your ladders on the slabby part.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

That would be a great climb to have the gear dialed for!

James Schroeder · · Sauk County, WI · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,108
Everett wrote:

...for beaks and things...

I hope you're hand-placing those "beaks and things" and for anyone else who might be reading this and considering using a hammer at the Lake, please don't. There are many far-more-suitable crags at which to practice those types of shenanigans.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 334
James Schroeder wrote:

I hope you're hand-placing those "beaks and things" and for anyone else who might be reading this and considering using a hammer at the Lake, please don't. There are many far-more-suitable crags at which to practice those types of shenanigans.

Yeah, I immediately cringed to picture someone using pitons and such to practice at DL. Anytime I've heard people talk about aiding at the Lake, I always assumed it was clean aid.

Everett · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 25
James Schroeder wrote:

Ack, I should've been clearer. No hammer. Period.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Devils lake question "
in the Midwest