Mountain Project Logo

Aconcagua, crampons/doubles needed?

Original Post
Parker Cunneen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 28

So firstborn question is do I really need crampon for this mountain. Seems to be mostly rock and light snow. I was thinking bringing Hillsound trails just in case. But full crampons, really? Plus they will get destroyed. Any thoughts from those that have done it. 

Also what about doubles? So I’ve taken my Sportiva Trango’s down to negative teens and as long as I’m moving I’m fine (I’d be wearing down booties on Aconcagua at camp). A burly pair of Nepal’s should do well don’t we think?

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,145

I assume you are going to be going the Ruta Normal. You will want to bring crampons. Though you will mostly be on scree there are places and times where crampons will be needed. You might not use them for long but not having them will be a suck fest. I know of folks who turned around because they did not bring any.

Which Trangos? The Cube GTX? I would not take them as while you may be moving - remember you are at altitude so you will be moving albeit slowly at times. The Nepal Evo GTX would be better. 

Parker Cunneen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 28

I am not planning on bringing the Trango Cube GTX. I was trying to determine if Nepal Cubes or G5’s will cut it since I have taken my Trango’s to suck low temps. Doubles seem a bit much. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Aconcagua, crampons/doubles needed?"
in the Mountaineering