Mountain Project Logo

[LOCKED] Great Online Deals of 2018

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
Hector Luevano wrote:

No one really needs to compete when they have totems, demand is plentiful and supply is low. 

This is the deals thread.  Take this banter elsewhere!

TJ B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26

Small supply of Totems are in at Backcountry. Everything but black. $83 free two day shipping 

Piotr Sobczak · · Laredo, TX · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0
TJ B wrote: Small supply of Totems are in at Backcountry. Everything but black. $83 free two day shipping 

They are expecting a big batch coming in, apparently including the blacks 

Mass drop has Primus Omnifuel, Duffels and more.... just heads up 

ConorCarroll Carroll · · Golden, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 15

Not "great," but ok if you have a big list and "high ticket" items that rarely go on sale.  Moosejaw is running 3x rewards (they run 4x usually around Black Friday) + 15% back from active junky.  I pulled the trigger on a Hilleberg tent I've been "needing."  Not the greatest, but the best of a situation that rarely sees any action.  There are some exclusions, like gobros.  

Shaniac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 24

OUTSIDE magazine did an alert on a EU company with VERY affordable outdoor gear, that is trying to get a foothold in the US market. I know nothing about them... so do your OWN research, but their prices are extremely competitive. Don't look for Totem or BD cams or anything, but they do seem to have a pretty large climbing collection for anyone on a budget. https://www.decathlon.com/collections/climbing-mountaineering. If anyone knows of their history or quality, a discussion (not here obviously) in another forum might be cool. Samples of deals: Climbing shoes and packs and hooded down jackets all well under $100. Good luck all, thanks for all the deal notices!!!

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Looks like cheap Chinese knock off junk. Like all those sales on eBay I avoid.

Simond  is a fine name from the past. Not sure of current quality but they have been a manufacturer for a long time.

Parker H · · Indianapolis · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote:

Simon* is an name from the past. Not sure of current quality but they have been a manufacturer for a long time.

*have a problem with a certain character on my laptop this am.

They have bought rights to that name among others, this company manufactures or procures all the products they sell. Zero ties to the classic Simond brand. Looks like shit quality gear.

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940

Decathlon is a very well known shop and hugely popular outside the US - you'll see their shops all over France and it's great that they're expanding internationally. I've bought plenty of their soft goods under the Quechua brand name and have had a great experience with them. They're not ultralight or the newest fabrics, but my items have been bombproof and survived years of abuse. A small 18 liter climbing pack has survived without as much as a puncture over 6 years of constant use. On par with REI and EMS house brand goods but for 30-40% cheaper. I haven't bought any of their climbing equipment under Simond, but there's no reason to believe that they aren't safe.

Shaniac wrote: OUTSIDE magazine did an alert on a EU company with VERY affordable outdoor gear, that is trying to get a foothold in the US market. I know nothing about them... so do your OWN research, but their prices are extremely competitive. Don't look for Totem or BD cams or anything, but they do seem to have a pretty large climbing collection for anyone on a budget. https://www.decathlon.com/collections/climbing-mountaineering. If anyone knows of their history or quality, a discussion (not here obviously) in another forum might be cool. Samples of deals: Climbing shoes and packs and hooded down jackets all well under $100. Good luck all, thanks for all the deal notices!!!

Actually, their products are not bad at all for Sunday climbers/hikers. Alas, if you are a pro/die hard climber, hiker, mountaineer that brand is not that great. Not safety wise (all is top notch), just the materials used are not the lightest and latest in the category.

@Parker H, Harumpfster Boondoggle, Briggs Lazalde - you clearly do not know the DECATHLON's products and seem to be more on the Pro side than the regular Joe climber.
Shaniac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 24

Thanks all, but this thread is for deals only. Let's please take any unrelated brand conversation to another thread. Thanks. 

Brandon Ribblett · · The road · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 80

moosejaw, 30 percent MJ bucks back on full price items, plus 15 percent back from active junky.

Andy W · · Ft Collins · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 41
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Heard it time and time again but if we can only discuss that items are on sale and can't discuss the items themselves your deal alerts are worthless. Let me know why they are or are not a deal and you've got some actually valuable info. So please while adults are talking you're gonna have to be patient 

If you want to discuss the gear, use the "Climbing Gear Discussion" forum. Even to this kid, it seems very straight forward.

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Please keep your posts related to online deals people. It’s not a difficult task. 

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350

I created a new thread “2018 non climbing deals discussion. Please take all non climbing deal discussion to that thread please.

Many thanks,
Basically everyone 

Alan Zhan · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 156

Maybe not a 'great deal' but for those of us in the US, bananafingers now ships internationally, and their prices on shoes (all that I have checked) are generally much lower (as much as like 30-40%). Shipping is ~$15, but that's still cheaper than most US places (REI, backcountry etc). Obviously returns will probably suck.

eg 1 2

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

OR is doing a 50% off sale.  Best prices I’ve seen on Helium Jackets, Wadi pants, etc.

Andrew Hess · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

I think this qualifies as a deal. If you're not an AAC member, you can get crazy discounts if you become a member. 15% off Backcountry. 40% off 5.10 (my $165 pinks are $99). I just got 15% off a Backcountry order that had already shipped! And more.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25
Andrew Hess wrote: I think this qualifies as a deal. If you're not an AAC member, you can get crazy discounts if you become a member. 15% off Backcountry. 40% off 5.10 (my $165 pinks are $99). I just got 15% off a Backcountry order that had already shipped! And more.

Just for clarification, in the past it hasn't been all Backcountry, and I'm not sure what qualified some items but not others. Is it 40% off all Five Ten products?

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

so what do you guys think about the grigri 2?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "[LOCKED] Great Online Deals of 2018"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started