Mountain Project Logo

3rd Party Ice Screw Bags?

Original Post
Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 95

The crampon bag thread got me re-wondering an age old question of mine - are there any good, lightweight bags/traps/rollups for ice screws out there? Or, any cool ideas for packing screws?

I have two of the BD IceScrewUps and they are fine but just seem bulkier than I want, especially for an alpine climb. I am too lazy to deal with caps and slide on net sleeves. 

This seems like an ideal niche product for a small company to make. 

Luc-514 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 9,196

https://protogear.ca/?product=carrying-pouch-for-ice-screws

They also do custom work if you have an idea you want to develop.

Keatan · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 20

I use a climbing skins or harness bag, leave caps on since there are no dividers, and either stuff it somewhere the screws won't bang around too much or throw a voile strap around it.

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

I've used the BD wraps for many years now, and I don't see how you could design something much simpler.  If you roll them tight and align all the hangers, your screws take as little space as possible...  If you think they are bulky, you must not be wrapping them very carefully (?)

I thought the BD Express ice screws were perfect - until the Petzl Speed Laser Lights came out. I climbed happily for years on stock XDream picks until I upgraded to Howey Tool picks. 

The BD wrap work and it is burly, it is a good product. I just know it is a matter of time until we look at back at it for what it is - a 20 year old product in a very small category that (one day) got unanimously replaced by ______________________________.  (If I could fill in the blank now, I obviously wouldn't be posting) 

Turner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 252

Check out ACE, Anker Climbing Equipment makes a sweet screw sack.

Ocalslay Onlyyay · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160

The cool kids are wearing their screws to the crag/club.

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

Bursh ≠ DMT. Bursh = fattrad

Tony M · · Peabody, MA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
Turner wrote:

Check out ACE, Anker Climbing Equipment makes a sweet screw sack.

I googled every possible keyword variation and the only links I get to this bag are posts on this site.  Any idea where to purchase? 

Jeremy Cote · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Eric and Lucie wrote:

I've used the BD wraps for many years now, and I don't see how you could design something much simpler.  If you roll them tight and align all the hangers, your screws take as little space as possible...  If you think they are bulky, you must not be wrapping them very carefully (?)

I make gear and have a nice industrial machine. I have sketched out all sorts of designs for ice screw holders. Ultimately, it ended being a fruitless exercise in trying to re-create the wheel because I always came back to the BD style roll up design, which is pretty much perfect and as simple as it gets. The only thing I would change would be to install a 2" velcro closure strap (maybe two, one at the top and one at the bottom) and do away with the buckle system. The buckle isn't that bad, but it would be even simpler to secure the screws without it, especially with big gloves on. I would also get rid of the small zippered pouch, as I find it difficult to get the screw caps into it. I usually just put them in a pocket, or a zippered pocket in my pack. 

Ocalslay Onlyyay · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160
Paul Morrison wrote:

Bursh ≠ DMT. Bursh = fattrad

Cheers!

DMT

Josh Hutch · · State of Jefferson · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 90
Jeremy Cote wrote:

I make gear and have a nice industrial machine. I have sketched out all sorts of designs for ice screw holders. Ultimately, it ended being a fruitless exercise in trying to re-create the wheel because I always came back to the BD style roll up design, which is pretty much perfect and as simple as it gets. The only thing I would change would be to install a 2" velcro closure strap (maybe two, one at the top and one at the bottom) and do away with the buckle system. The buckle isn't that bad, but it would be even simpler to secure the screws without it, especially with big gloves on. I would also get rid of the small zippered pouch, as I find it difficult to get the screw caps into it. I usually just put them in a pocket, or a zippered pocket in my pack. 

Why do you put the screws in the roll up with the caps on? Is the material between the screws not sufficient enough? I like having the pocket. Extra bolts and front point for the crampons along with tool bolts/nut, pick weight, and a small flat chainsaw file fit perfectly. I do think the Velcro would be better as well. 

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,146

I have a second crampon bag that holds screws, picks, leashes, etc. The screws go in with the caps and sleeves on. The bags holds the caps and sleeves whilst climbing.

Rich McCauley · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 10

I cut up a bike tube (think 700c 25-32 worked best) to the right lengths and slip the pieces over the screws.  Protects all the sharp bits.  Can just pitch 'em in your pack afterward.  Little longer to pack/unpack but cheap, works great, and saves space.

Jeremy Cote · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Josh Hutch wrote:

Why do you put the screws in the roll up with the caps on? Is the material between the screws not sufficient enough? I like having the pocket. Extra bolts and front point for the crampons along with tool bolts/nut, pick weight, and a small flat chainsaw file fit perfectly. I do think the Velcro would be better as well. 

Just extra protection for the teeth during transport since the slots are open on the BD case. Good point about the extra parts though. I have a small ditty sack for all that stuff that I prefer though that goes with my first aid kit. I was trying to design something utilitarian with minimal material. 

Jeff J · · Bozeman · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 110
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

The crampon bag thread got me re-wondering an age old question of mine - are there any good, lightweight bags/traps/rollups for ice screws out there? Or, any cool ideas for packing screws?

I have two of the BD IceScrewUps and they are fine but just seem bulkier than I want, especially for an alpine climb. I am too lazy to deal with caps and slide on net sleeves. 

This seems like an ideal niche product for a small company to make. 

I have the ACE, by Anker Climbing Equipment. it holds 14 screws very well. I highly recommend checking it out as a possibility.

Second rec for the ACE, looks good, too bad Anker Climbing Equipment disappeared 13 years ago:

https://outdoorindustry.org/press-release/black-diamond-acquires-anker-climbing-equipment/

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,795

OP - if you want something unique and "green" I can make you a BD-style roll-up (to hold as many screws as you tell me) from post-consumer woven plastic (think IKEA bag fabric). Vecros closure rather than the annoying buckle that BD uses.  In fact, I think I'll make one just to illustrate the idea - stay tuned.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661

I bought an ACE ice screw holder directly from Conrad last year. It's the best design i've seen and it holds 12 screws. He posted a video on his Facebook page last winter about them.

EDIT: Here's the link to the video: https://www.facebook.com/ConradAnkerOfficial/videos/1231671310203027/

"If you would like to help out please consider purchasing one of the ACE ice screw holders. 100% of the proceeds go to the building. They are handmade in Montana with leftover material and and up cycled climbing rope. The 12 pack goes for $40 and $5 for shipping. The 6 pack goes for $30 and $5 dollar shipping and handling.

Shipping is available to the United States. If you are overseas please find a friend to help you out. Please send me an email to conrad@conradanker.com."

@Gunkiemike very interested. Totally agree about the getting rid of the annoying buckle (which gets more annoying as the temp drops) and that fabric sounds like the right direction. 

As far as screw number, I go back and forth. Total per party per climb, I want a minimum of 12 screws (Mark Twight would be rolling in his grave if he were dead) so I would want a rollup with either 6 or 8 slots. I like the idea of packing two smaller rollups as opposed to one huge one. 

I think if the whole rollup was thinner and lighter than the BD one, 8 slots would be better (leaving some slots empty if only bringing 12 screws)? Also, I like the idea of a small accessory pocket but could live without it. 

Lastly, I know it is harder to physcially load screws from both ends of the rollup because you would need to lie it down and play a puzzle game (and the offset buckle on the BD one works better if the screw handles are all on the same side), but it may make a more compact package to load it by alternating the handles so as to not create one large "bouquet" of handles on one side. I think replacing the buckle with velcro would accomodate alternating handles. Stoked to see what you come up with. 

Nick Sweeney wrote:

I bought an ACE ice screw holder directly from Conrad last year. It's the best design i've seen and it holds 12 screws. He posted a video on his Facebook page last winter about them.

EDIT: Here's the link to the video: https://www.facebook.com/ConradAnkerOfficial/videos/1231671310203027/

Wow, ACE plays hard to get. All the Googling in the world couldn't find that bag. Thanks for the link.

That video is pretty funny though, if Conrad had so much trouble with undoing the buckle with bare hands on a warm day, think about the challenges threading it on an uber cold day, ha, proved the buckle-is-annoying sentiment. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "3rd Party Ice Screw Bags?"
in the Ice Climbing