Mountain Project Logo

is not brushing holds in the gym normal everywhere now?

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86
Addem Bursh wrote:

I live in a nicer climate than you, but my schedule is such that early morning gym sessions before work allowed me to maintain/grow strength for the less frequent trips to the outdoors on the weekends.

Too hot down there for me! But admirable for the keeping in shape. I swing hammers in my off time. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Addem Bursh wrote:

I used to volunteer to scrub the inside of the fake cracks at the gym - those things are like a Hep C carnival.

Shit.  That’s a really good point.  Definitely left some blood on those...

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Ted Pinson wrote:

Shit.  That’s a really good point.  Definitely left some blood on those...

Yeah, that's an unpleasant thought. The cracks at my gym are decent enough that I generally don't tear up my hands too bad, but this makes met think I may want to start taping up anyway.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Joe Garibay wrote:

Too hot down there for me! But admirable for the keeping in shape. I swing hammers in my off time. 

I chop down trees and make knife handles out of them with no power tools or bench vise and spray about it online, to also keep in shape.

The spray part being the most important part.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86
Addem Bursh wrote:

I chop down trees and make knife handles out of them with no power tools or bench vise and spray about it online, to also keep in shape.

Rad! Thanks for sharing. You sell those?

Joe Garibay wrote:

Rad! Thanks for sharing. You sell those?

I don't - this spawned from a need because the old synthetic handles are cracking/splitting because my lovely wife and my old roommate way before her, liked to put the good kitchen knives in the damn dishwasher.  I'm crossing fingers that this habit will cease after she saw all the work that went into it.  I still need to oil it, excited to see the woodgrain a bit more.  The Tung oil is a bit tacky, I wonder if it would help the poor OP with this particular issue?  Dip hands > send proj, braj?

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

So is the wood glued to the tang or what? I like! I have been making spoons and spatulas so peeps will stop using metal on the nonstick cookware. :-p 

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209
Addem Bursh wrote:

With those knives you should cut your broken legs off, the ones you broke whilst punting off my warm up and spray about that.

Ryan Pfleger wrote:

So is the wood glued to the tang or what? I like! I have been making spoons and spatulas so peeps will stop using metal on the nonstick cookware. :-p 

Wood is epoxied to the tang, and there are three hidden pins as well.  Didn't want them to go all the way through, like the wood-only look

Lou Cerutti wrote:

With those knives you should cut your broken legs off, the ones you broke whilst punting off my warm up and spray about that.

Lou, youre mom that's what I have to say about that.  I'll save that spray for facebruk.

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45

My climbing gym has employees who clean the holds with some sort of cleaner. The footholds are slick as shit afterwards, but the slopers are better. Its a tough call which I would prefer. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "is not brushing holds in the gym normal everywh…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started