Mountain Project Logo

Thailand in March looking for recommendations!

Original Post
Lorraine Ciccarelli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

I’ll be flying into Krabi on March 6 - 17, going to be in the north, around Chang Mai, March 18 - 23.

Looking for reccomendations for places to stay and possibly meet other climbers.

I’ll be with two friends. Two of us are intermediate climbers and one is a more experienced/stronger climber. 

If you find yourself out there, let’s meet up!

Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

Going to be hot in Krabi, might think about a place w/ AC or a pool.  Places in Railay East a good choice if you want to avoid the party scene and sketchy sanitation at Tonsai. Forgot the name of budget priced place we stayed, but it was the large complex next to Diamond  Resort. The most convenient place for climbing in the North is Jira Homestay, a 10 minute walk to Crazy Horse Crag. Not to be confused with Jira Guest House in Chiang Mai. A year ago we paid $8 for a double cabin and $ 2-3 for great meals. Probably need reservations. You can get a ride there on the daily truck from Chiang Mai Rock Climbing Adventures. Once there you won't need transportation. Definitely a weeks worth of fun climbing at Crazy Horse at all grades. Don't miss the sport routes inside the Cave. 

K-Tanz · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 205

I was just in Chiang Mai recently and stayed in a few places. Hostels are abundant and I wouldn't bother making a reservation if you want to stay in a hostel. My favorite place that I stayed at in all of southeast Asia was called the "A-ha" Hotel in northwest Chiang Mai. It was a very clean 6 story tall hotel with extremely friendly staff who spoke decent English and took every opportunity to joke around with us and force feed us breakfast and coffee. It was easy walking distance from many ammenities, 24 hour street food, a grocery store, coffee shops, bars, and was a quick Uber to Chaing Mai Rock Climbing where the daily shuttle to Crazy Horse Departs from.  We paid $20 USD per night for two beds with a flat screen TV, balcony, hot shower, and breakfast. The town square is fun but touristy, I cant recommend highly enough the A-Ha which is just outside the town walls. The ride to Crazy Horse is about 45 minutes there, 90 mins back with traffic. Bring bug spray and chalk, as the limestone is quite polished, especially on the Crazy Horse Wall. We found the best rock quality to be at the Heart Wall. 

Alternatively you can stay in some more primitive lodging walking distance from Crazy Horse at the Jira Homestay. They have a Facebook page where they can be contacted about open rooms. We had breakfast there and it was really tasty with good Thai coffee. There were a lot of other climbers there so you should be able to find plenty of partners. 

Bring a rope and all required equipment, as a 70M rope will easily run you $300 USD in Chiang Mai. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Thailand in March looking for recommendations!"
in the International