Mountain Project Logo

Red rock in february.need advice

Original Post
Jordan Tamborine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Looking for recommendations for hiring a Guide in Red Rock. I have inquired with Jackson hole mountain guides and they seem a bit pricey. (Quoted me and my partner at 1030$ for 2 days, first being a class for my partner to learn lead belay and other technical skills. The 2nd is a multi pitch day, both being 7-8 hours).

Would anyone have some suggestions for a guide? Naturally I would teach my girlfriend myself with the help of a friend, but I won't have the opportunity before the trip due to Canadian winter and my local gym not allowing anyone to teach each other

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

That price seems damn good for 1:2 instruction for two full days, especially with technical instruction and multipitch climbing instead of just gang-roping a single pitch area.

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

Somehow or other, although I doh't know exactly how, you should be able to get a list from the BLM of the outfits that have commercial guiding permits to operate in the Red Rock Conservation Area. Then you can comparison shop. For my part, I wouldn't base that comparison strictly on price, because when you're buying learning, the goods aren't necessarily interchangeable among all suppliers. You can get an idea of what I mean here on Mountain Project. For instance, one of the American Alpine Institute's representatives in Las Vegas, Andrew Yasso, posts here often. You should read what he, or anyone else, has to say, and how he says it, before you decide how much those two days should be worth to you.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Jordan Tamborine wrote:

Looking for recommendations for hiring a Guide in Red Rock. I have inquired with Jackson hole mountain guides and they seem a bit pricey. (Quoted me and my partner at 1030$ for 2 days, first being a class for my partner to learn lead belay and other technical skills. The 2nd is a multi pitch day, both being 7-8 hours).

Would anyone have some suggestions for a guide? Naturally I would teach my girlfriend myself with the help of a friend, but I won't have the opportunity before the trip due to Canadian winter and my local gym not allowing anyone to teach each other

climbing friend,

i did not have knowledge these canadian gym owners are communistz, controlling the means of belay and not allowing one canadian to teach on to another. I will guide you, but you must pay double for privilege of resting your eyes upon my incredible physique, chiseled abs, and stunning features!

ho ho ho!

ha ha!

hyah!

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

Jordan,

I work for the American Alpine Institute in Red Rock, and live here locally in Las Vegas. If you have any questions about pricing/what's included/what is my style, please feel free to get in touch directly via PM or Andrew@AlpineInstitute.com

Paul makes a good point, we've all got our own style and emphasis on specific things, so if you're spending your hard earned money it's worth it to make sure you're allocating your funds to best meet your goals.

Rob Warden (Space Lizard) is a cool guy and I'm sure he would offer you the same if you got in touch directly.

Either way, enjoy your trip to Red Rock.

Andrew

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Red rock in february.need advice"
in the Nevada