Mountain Project Logo

HCR Guidebook?

Original Post
Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 334

What's the best guidebook for HCR, and where can it be acquired? Threads on this topic are mostly old, and it appears the "new" guidebook referenced on the area page is out of print. Is there a good current guidebook available for the area?

Jacob McCann · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Call HCR, they might have some that you can buy there. Similarly, I know a friend had rented a guidebook from HCR when he went down there.

Justin Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Did you end up getting any answers from them?

Jcburgart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15

They sell guidebooks at the Outpost/Gear shop at HCR. 

There is a specific guidebook simply for HCR, but you should go for the comprehensive, whole state of AR guidebook. There's so many hidden gem areas in Northern AR, its astounding.

Sorry, never posted back to this thread. HCR does sell the  2nd edition of "Rock Climbing Arkansas" by Cole Fennel in their shop. They said this is the only guidebook currently in print that has HCR routes, and it's the most recent as well, so is the most up-to-date of all options. (The HCR-specific book is out of print.) I was able to find the Fennel guide on Amazon, so I picked up a copy to peruse ahead of time.

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

The HCR specific guide does have bouldering, but has been  made kinda obsolete by the fact the Arkansas now has a comprehensive roped climbing, and a separate bouldering one. I know the roped on is typically available at the HCR trading post, and would assume the bouldering is available as well.

JD Borgeson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 1,139

Clay Frisbee came out with a good HCR specific guide around the time cole did too. I'd be surprised if it was out of print.  Cole's HCR guide is probably better than having to buy the AR rope climbing and AR bouldering guides. I'm not sure if Frisbee's HCR guide has bouldering, but I doubt it.

JD Borgeson wrote:

Clay Frisbee came out with a good HCR specific guide around the time cole did too. I'd be surprised if it was out of print.  Cole's HCR guide is probably better than having to buy the AR rope climbing and AR bouldering guides. I'm not sure if Frisbee's HCR guide has bouldering, but I doubt it.

Yeah, his book was HCR-specific, published in 2013, but it does in fact appear to be out of print already. I can't find it new anywhere, and the person I talked to at HCR indicated that the ARkansas climbing book By Cole Fennel is the only one currently in print, and the most up-to-date.

Michael Gardner-Brown · · Springfield, MO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 11

I may go ahead and buy the Arkansas comprehensive guide if you're anywhere near AR and can make it back (as well as the bouldering specific guide if you're a boulder-er as well). So much of what exists in Arkansas is in super close proximity. A lot of our friends have had epic climbing days ticking off projects at the ranch, cowell, and chancel area in one day, as they are all in such close proximity. While the ranch can potentially keep you busy for months, there is so much to be explored if you have relatively easy access to NW AR. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "HCR Guidebook?"
in the Midwest