Mountain Project Logo

ice climbing gear what do you use and why?

Original Post
no1nprtclr · · Front range Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 55

I've only used Grivel 360 ice screws but I can get either Petzl Laser Speed or the Grivel 360 again basically the same price.  Who has used both and which do you prefer?  Mind you I've used the older style 360, not the new ones that I've read and heard rack easier and less bulk.  And with that Is the Lim Ice worth the money compared to the cost to time using a regular file...  Also Question about the Petzl Caritool Evo, does that work like the BD ice screw plastic caribener?  And what's with the little wire thing?

So on to harnesses, I will get a winter specific harness now as I know what I want for summer:  available are Petzl Aquila, Petzl Corax, Petzl Calidris Mammut 3 and 4 Slide and the Togir Click.  Which do you use have used, of this selection and why?

For helmets:  Mammut Rock Rider and Mammut Wall Rider.  I also have these other options:  Petzl Sirocco, Elios, Meteor and Vertex.

I am excited to have such choices and appreciate your feedback.  Thank you.  And starting February, I might be looking for partners in northern Colorado.  I am so stoked to get back into a passion that I've been away from for far too long!  Thanks again for your feedback!!

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

Definitely prefer the north machines personally.  Slightly lighter to carry and swing.  Used both-had the quarks and sold them.  I think the north machines are a perfect alpine tool and great to wi5. Past that go with the Nomic.  The north machines feel like a race car on easier terrain imo.  And they look freaking awesome.  

I love the 360s my only complaint is the handle can get in the way when unfolding or when clipping in.  The Grivel handle because it is curved can get in the way and rotate more compared to the petzl handle which will only fold one way.   I like the petzl as the best compromise between bd and grivels  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "ice climbing gear what do you use and why?"