For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Alaska Climbing in March?

Original Post
t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

When does the (mountain) climbing season start in Alaska? Is early March going to be too cold? Would that be a better time for skiing?

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 14,421

Alaska is kind of a big state...maybe a bit more specific?

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

Nope. Pretty open ended. Have a potential work thing there for a few days in March, so I figured if I could tack on a week before/after for some climbing it'd be awesome.  I'd be going into Fairbanks but could go anywhere from there.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 14,421

Climbing and skiing that time of year in the Ruth Gorge might be pretty sweet...

Adam Password · · Timbuktu · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

I think you miss understand the remoteness of the majority of Alaska. If you wanted to climb closer to town and maybe some smaller objectives then yah a week is good but the peaks are limited. March usually isn' too cold but the problem tends to be snow and wind. You'e much better off taking that week and going split boarding or skiing. 

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Anchorage is about 6 hours away from Fairbanks, but shoot me a message if you've got glacier skills and want to bag some <8000' peaks. Most likely snow climbs with glacier approaches in the Western Chugach range.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Alaska Climbing in March?"
in the Pacific Northwest