Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Holcomb Valley Pinnacles

Original Post
Jimmy Yammine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 25

Does anyone have an update on conditions in Holcomb? has anyone climbed there recently?

D i r k · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Was out there on the 12th. polique canyon road still has a bit of snow in areas. There are some deep puddles over by wilburs grave. You can park over by belleville cabin and walk across the field to avoid getting stuck in the puddles if you dont have high clearance 4x4. Minimal snow around the base of the rocks.

Carey De Luca · · Yucca Valley, Ca · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 10

Drove up to Van Dusen yesterday.  Only went to the cabin.  There was a layer of snow on the ground on the road up and a few mud puddles.  We were in a Jeep but passed 2 wheel drive cars heading up.  The temps were perfect.

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,694
Carey De Luca wrote:

Drove up to Van Dusen yesterday.  Only went to the cabin.  There was a layer of snow on the ground on the road up and a few mud puddles.  We were in a Jeep but passed 2 wheel drive cars heading up.  The temps were perfect.

@Carey, Van Dusen was open?  It's generally closed at the gate after the first snow, I'm surprised.  Or maybe not... it's been so mild.  

Carey De Luca · · Yucca Valley, Ca · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 10

Susan, it usually is closed, but it was not.  We expected at least the top one be, but nope.  When we lived up there they always locked it by the first snow.  The road wasn't bad and there were a ton of car driving around.  However, it was muddy and I can see how the road would get rutted and bad after a winter of cars traveling on it.   

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,694

That all makes sense.  Slow to drain puddles make for bad mud.  The type that when it's all dried up later has created some pretty poor driving conditions.   Even if the gate remains open, that's something we all should think about before going that way.  Any minor dustings or precipitation could leavy muddy holes that come summer will look like canyons.  

Thanks Carey

beantown · · Big Bear City, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Went yesterday in my Jeep lifted 33in mud tires I made it thru no problems but the puddles are more like lakes lol.  Great weather for climbing and only one other group there there which hiked it in.  You may be able to get around using the north parking lot if you got high clearance.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Holcomb Valley Pinnacles"
in the Southern California