Mountain Project Logo

Trip west in March

Original Post
Will Avent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hey y'all, I'm coming out west from North Carolina for the month of March to climb at Red Rocks, j tree and Yosemite hopefully. Looking for any beta on partners, free camping and maybe someone willing to let me do laundry once or twice along the way? Any info is awesome. I sleep in my car, so I don't need much. Thanks!

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Not a ton in the way of free camping in any of your destinations- at least not legally and/or convenient to climbing. You can always chance it or find a Walmart parking lot for jtree and red rock. 

Hidden valley/intersection rock is partner central for jtree. 

13 mile campground/desert rock sports for red rock. 

Camp 4 for the Valley. 

Good luck, have fun. Red rock is crazy busy in March and the rendezvous will mean most of the sport climbing is occupied that weekend and the multi pitch is extra busy because of overflow. Most people not attending the rendezvous try to be elsewhere the week before and after the event.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 498

The above recommendations are pretty much it. You've picked 3 of the unfriendliest destinations for free camping. The drive from outside J-tree to Hidden Valley is pretty long and not worth it, in my opinion. The drive from outside Yosemite to the Valley is pretty reasonable, and there are reasonable spots outside the park boundary that may work. Do not try to sleep in your car in Yosemite Valley.

Do not let it discourage you. If you've never been to any of these spots, they can all be life changing. I spent a month in J-tree when I was your age as part of a 6 month roadtrip (it was free then). Watching the phases of the moon, getting hardened to the cold and wind (for me, from South Carolina), the slowing down of things, the awe of things bigger than you, seeing how you measure up...

Eli · · GMC3500 · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,816

RR: You can always sleep at the albertsons on bluediamond if campganistan isn't your forte. If you're bold, ask strangers to split the sites with you at campganistan.
JT: Hidden Valley is hard to beat. Sorry guy.
Yos: I'm not saying you should or that I would or anything, but you can always plan your objectives so that you're bivying at the base of your routes and just coming back to the car for more supplies and such. Drive out to EP on rest days?

Molly May · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

The BLM land north of J-Tree is free, and the drive isn’t too bad- 10 mins ish to Indian Cove climbs, 40 ish mins to hidden valley and other spots in the park. My partner and I have been parkin it on the BLM land since early Dec and make it into the park almost every day. Hidden Valley Campground/intersection Rock has a bulletin board where you can find partners pretty easily. 

Caleb Mallory · · Seattle, Wa · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

PM'd. And I'd second the BLM land for j-tree as a great free option. With no traffic getting into the park (which you shouldn't have super early) we were able to get to the Saddle Rocks/Sheep pass area (walk on the wild side) in well under 40 minutes. 

Will Avent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Trip west in March"
in the Southern California