Mountain Project Logo

Rockfall has impacted all Shultz's Ridge climbs in Yosemite

Original Post
Erik Sloan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 125

The major rockfalls on El Cap in the fall of 2017 (they are still coming down!), heavily impacted the short climbs at the Endless Summer and Dan and Jerry's Playground sport climbing areas. Probably best to avoid these areas for a while. If you do climb there, and experience changes in routes / anchors, please post to their appropriate pages!

Woot! Erik Sloan

RockClimbYosemite.com

Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,523

Woot?

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 65

do you guys ever just woot to woot?

Luke Douglas · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 550
Max Supertramp wrote:

do you guys ever just woot to woot?

No. Not even once.

Edit

I almost retro-wooted once but my wife caught me in time.

Nate Soy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 5 days ago · Points: 0

I want to free solo a falling rock

Toriano Hardin · · Benicia, Ca · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Witnessed some rock fall earlier today. I was at the base of the footstool, heard a sound similar to a train and saw two refrigerator sized blocks hurling off el cap.

The rockfall path is right down the Shultz's Ridge area - much new talus can be seen along the base of the wall. Please help spread the word if you see people getting ready to climb here, as people come from all over to climb in Yosemite and might not have heard about the recent rockfall activity at El Cap......... A couple years ago a two hundred foot slab fell off the Regular Route on Half Dome. When the rangers walked up to the base to assess the scene, a team of foreigners was starting up the first pitch, totally unaware that the talus pile they were sitting in was evidence of a massive recent rockfall. 

El Gato · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I wonder if Santa wooted this year? And I think the owl said something like “give a woot and pollute ?”

Specifically, if you see someone at the Shultz's Ridge pullout with climbing gear, stop and say 'hey, don't know if you've heard, but this area has had massive rockfall recently and is not considered safe for climbing'. (a guy died driving on the road right next to Shultz's Ridge this summer when a rock went through his sunroof!)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Thanks for the heads-up, Erik.

QITNL · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

"a guy died driving on the road right next to Shultz's Ridge this summer when a rock went through his sunroof!"

WOOT! FAKE NEWS!

Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,523
Chad Namolik · · Three Rivers, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,525

Post signage at the base of the climbs.

Have you looked at the climbs? What's the extent of the damage? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply