Mountain Project Logo

Opinions on Winter Sleeping bags (-10F and lower)

Original Post
Jordon · · Rochester · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 55

After a cold uncomfortable night up in northern Minnesota, I've decided to swap out my cheap Walmart bag for a nice winter bag. Any suggestions? 

I get a pro rated discount on Nemo gear, so I've been considering the Canon sleeping bag. With my armature eyes, it looks like it could have a huge comfort range (with the vents and armholes).  The sonic 0 runs very cold, so I’m assuming the -40 degree rating on the Canon is more like a -25 degree comfort level. 

There isn't much for reviews on this bag, has anyone out there ever used this thing? or have suggestions on a great starter winter bag?

NEMO Canon sleeping bag- http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Canon%20Reg

thanks!

Cameron Habib · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 16 days ago · Points: 0

Feathered Friends. They make some of the best bags IMO and they'll happily customize them however you want. They rate more based on comfort than survival, which is why some cheaper bags seem cold even though you're not at the lower rating yet. 

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

I dig 2 way center zips for cold weather. You can just stick your hands out and do stuff in the tent while sitting upright inside your cozy bag. Not that many companies make them. I have a TNF for this feature and although I don't generally love their stuff it's pretty nice. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 653

Jordon, what kind of temps are you dealing with? I use a 20 degree bag year round in combination with warm clothes as needed, but it's not exactly comfortable when it gets to zero degrees.  It is pretty light though!

The bag you linked looks awesome, but it is a -40 degree expedition bag, which will likely make it too warm for a lot of winter trips in the lower 48.  You can save a lot of weight getting a zero degree bag, and maybe be more comfortable too. A sleeping bag like that takes up a huge amount of pack space if you'll be hiking with it.  

Patrick Corry · · PA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 75

You might want to consider a 3 season bag for most uses, with an over bag for winter.  The 2 bag system would give you flexibility for variable conditions- say, a 30 degree over bag used alone in benign conditions, with a 10 degree bag for shoulder seasons, and the combination for winter. In order to avoid compressing the loft in the inner bag, make the inner bag a regular size and the over bag a long/large.  See this: https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/?phdsid=ui3hhj560nllh6i668t4jflr17

PHD designs discusses the inner/over bag system on their site.  

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Nick- So far this year it's been around -10F half the time and it wouldn't be unreasonable to see -20F part of the time, at night.

Patrick- that's not a bad idea and I had never heard of PHD before. Looks like a solid bag design they have.

This is what I'm talking about....

Karl Henize · · June Lake, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 570

In my experience, Western Mountaineering makes great down sleeping bags, with good performance to weight & volume.

If you will be spending many consecutive nights in the cold, I would opt for synthetic sleeping bags, rather than down.

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 175
Jordon wrote:

This is what I'm talking about....

You know that's Celsius right? 

Damn my company's cyber security!

No I didn't.... For some reason my company uses an Indian IP address so google assumes I want the metric system all the time. 

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10
Karl Henize wrote:

If you will be spending many consecutive nights in the cold, I would opt for synthetic sleeping bags, rather than down.

I like synthetic (I don't own any down jackets anymore) but for a subzero sleeping bag - even if someone were willing to carry the 6+ lbs - the packed size is the real limitation. Takes up most of your backpack. Hell, even carring a subzero down bag sucks. If you're being flown into base camp or using a pack animal, sure. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply