Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Grand Junction/Escalante Canyon Climbing Conditions

Original Post
Tomko · · SANTA CLARA CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10

So I'm flying into Grand Junction tomorrow morning with some friends and then driving down to Ouray to get on some ice for a long weekend, but seeing as how we couldn't make an Indian Creek trip this year we were thinking of stopping in Escalante Canyon on the drive down to try and get a few quick sandstone pitches in.

I know a storm just blew through Colorado so I was wondering what conditions would be like both on the rock and on the drive out to like Cabin Wall/Interiors Area.  Is it worth stopping for a few pitches?  Will it be tough to get there?  Any idea if the rock will be dry enough to climb on?

Thanks!

Adam Block · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 228

The road in pretty mellow and doesn't get gnarly as you go further. If you can make it the first mile; you'll make it to the crag. Looks like high 40s so the road and wall should be plenty dry. Yes it is very much worth a day trip to enjoy the splittas!

Tomko · · SANTA CLARA CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10

Thanks for the info!  As long as we get our luggage and rental car and everything quickly we should be able to get 1 or 2 pitches in with about 2 hours of daylight remaining once we get to the crag.

I can't wait!  It's been too long since I've been on ice or some splittas!

Adam Block · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 228

Good thing the approach is less than 5 minutes!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Grand Junction/Escalante Canyon Climbing Condit…"
in the Colorado