Mountain Project Logo

Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 150

The only activity that alcohol helps with is dancing IMO

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Chris Hatzai wrote:

Just curious. I smoke copious amounts of marijuana in my every day life and it seems that doesn’t change when im on the rock. Now, ive had stronger climbers comment to me of how i’d probably send harder if i wasn’t getting so stoned at the crag but All of my hardest redpoints have been while intoxicated on marijuana.

What are your philosophies on this matter? Do you crack a beer or light a bowl at the base of the wall regularly? 

(And if the smell offends you, sorry, i smoke the good shit.)

Chris, if want to send harder you should listen to them. They are seeing something in you that you probably aren't. "The pot" makes you "not care" if you don't send harder. They obviously see both the potential in you and that you don't care. That's why they're telling you this.

If you're happy being a stoned underachieving sport climber go with that. Forget about validation from other climbers who get high and do your thing.

PS, look at what you spend on the sticky-icky. If you quit you could send harder and fly to Thailand to climb with the money you save, (or buy a trad rack)

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,316
ViperScale . wrote:

You do know that all 3 of those are psychedelic drugs right?

You know weed is technically a mild psychedelic drug as well right?

Ha. My multi-tasking skillz are slippin'. Totally misread what you wrote.

I know all about herb being pyscho-active. The summer I started my psychedelic adventures we (wife and I) were kinda going for it with big doses of LSD and DMT on the regular. At the end of the summer we procured a large amount a trimmings and shake which we cooked up into a god awful strong batch of brownies. I had been a heavy user of herb for quite awhile up to this point and having spent the summer heavily tripping I thought "cool....lets go chill in the desert". We hadn't found a place to call home base for the day and I made the rookie decision to eat one and then I made the super rookie decision to eat more after a bit because I hadn't started to feel the first. Not sure how many I ate in the end but shit went south super quickly. I was fully hallucinating,which I was not prepared for, and was enduring an all out war with my psyche that lasted the next 8 hours or so. It took me a few days to come back from that one. I didn't touch herb for 5 or 6 years after that experience.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Forrest Carver wrote:

Believe it or not alcohol is a very useful drug for alot of things. The alcohol will calm your nerves so things like shooting a gun that require you to be very still is improved with a small amount of alcohol. The problem is people rarely take a small amount of it and it doesn't take alot for you to lose control.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

Since I moved to the east coast I have to say I dont smell it all the time at the crag. Its kind of weird.

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,316
John Barritt wrote:

underachieving   

Lazy or underachieving are not words I would use to describe Chris. How many routes did you clean and equip last year Chris? That shit is old hat man. 

spend 

I doubt Chris spends much on retail....could be wrong tho.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I find it kinda silly that people are writing that partners on drugs are a liability. My main climbing partner smokes a lot some days. I don’t know how he does it. We get along well and accept what makes the other tick. We even got a great driving system down. He drives to the crag and I drive at night. 

I wouldn’t rope up with half the sober dumbasses out there I see giving sorry ass belays and have no idea about self rescue.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Forrest Carver wrote:

Also helps with karaoke.

ViperScale . wrote:

Believe it or not alcohol is a very useful drug for alot of things. The alcohol will calm your nerves so things like shooting a gun that require you to be very still is improved with a small amount of alcohol. The problem is people rarely take a small amount of it and it doesn't take alot for you to lose control.

The biggest problem is if law enforcement catches you doing this you lose your gun rights and get charged with an up to 10 in jail, up to 10k felony......I do agree though with your assessment, just don't do it at a public range.

Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

A few times, at some places, a partner and I utilized B^4 juice. 

Bushmills Bigger Better Bolder.

You don't even feel the run outs. 

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

9 times out of 10, before, during, and after. I don’t send the hardest routes, 5.11a at the most.  I also usually burn a pack of smokes too. All butts end up in my pocket, don’t worry. I’m just climbing for fun anyways

Edit to add: that 1 time out of 10 I’m usually to hungover to drink 

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60

I had a beer before climbing tonight and was farting up a storm. Never again.

Jeff Luton wrote:

9 times out of 10, before, during, and after. I don’t send the hardest routes, 5.11a at the most.  I also usually burn a pack of smokes too. All butts end up in my pocket, don’t worry. I’m just climbing for fun anyways

I've quit both types of smoking but you just reminded me of when I was 24 and would literally run down the N Kaibab trail (to go fishing in Bright Angel Creek on a day hike) while puffing on a pipe and chain smoking cigarettes.  Got a few odd looks for that from slower hikers.

Ryan Mac · · Seattle · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 5
ViperScale . wrote:

I have climbed on LSD, pot, alcohol, dmt, and mescaline... personally think LSD was the best drug to climb on. As long as you aren't that high it helps get rid of the fear and doesn't screw up your movements like alot of other drugs.

You did not climb on DMT, sorry. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Ryan Mac wrote:

You did not climb on DMT, sorry. 

If you say so but I am also the guy who drinks over half a 1/5 of whiskey before I get a starting buzz.

Also the guy who ate a pan of brownies who my friend made with half oz of weed and drink a 1/5 of whiskey before going to the movies with my friends... that was an interresting trip to say the least when my friends left me in the lobby of the theatre with some cops.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
La MoMoFace wrote:

I had a beer before climbing tonight and was farting up a storm. Never again.

Don't you just love those hard moves that take so much core strength that farts just slip out without any control. That's how you know you're really climbing hard. Maybe don't go bouldering then, for your spotter's sake

ViperScale . wrote:

If you say so but I am also the guy who drinks over half a 1/5 of whiskey before I get a starting buzz.

Also the guy who ate a pan of brownies who my friend made with half oz of weed and drink a 1/5 of whiskey before going to the movies with my friends... that was an interresting trip to say the least when my friends left me in the lobby of the theatre with some cops.

So odd, barely anything happens to me on every hallucinogen I've ever taken but it takes almost no booze before I'm nice and smashed (and that's with being mostly Irish, English and Welsh).

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Came home shattered at 2am, wolfed down a pan of brownies that my sister had made and left on the kitchen counter. Woke up  4 hrs later to enraged sister kicking in my door and me so freaking high and hung over that I felt like I had spent the night laying in the middle of the road getting run over by trucks. Had to suck it up and go to school. Not a good day......  I was so stoned and drunk when I ate that pan of brownies that I never caught on that they were extra kind.....

There is so much more to life than doing recreational drugs. you actually miss out on a lot of the really cool experiences by being lost in your own little world.. I played that game for 32 years. did most of the drugs that were popular in the day but settled down to my favorite alchohol.  Beer and bourbon with the occasional shiraze,  cabernet or merlot or whatever was available in a pinch...  occasional shroom or joint..    sober since 2006. Life is much more fun now..    I do not miss the buzz at all. the only regrets that I have are the loss of camaraderie with a few close friends...  I certainly have climbed much harder and better in my sober years than I did while lost in the cycle of intoxication.....  I was planning on smokeing some weed when we were in CO in 2016 as weed is not a problem for me. thought it might be fun nostalgia but while the opertunity was there I never felt the need or desire...... it just did not happen. I was too busy climbing , hikeing and playing music to get around to smokeing dope...

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

Came home shattered at 2am, wolfed down a pan of brownies that my sister had made and left on the kitchen counter. Woke up  4 hrs later to enraged sister kicking in my door and me so freaking high and hung over that I felt like I had spent the night laying in the middle of the road getting run over by trucks. Had to suck it up and go to school. Not a good day......  I was so stoned and drunk when I ate that pan of brownies that I never caught on that they were extra kind.....

There is so much more to life than doing recreational drugs. you actually miss out on a lot of the really cool experiences by being lost in your own little world.. I played that game for 32 years. did most of the drugs that were popular in the day but settled down to my favorite alchohol.  Beer and bourbon with the occasional shiraze,  cabernet or merlot or whatever was available in a pinch...  occasional shroom or joint..    sober since 2006. Life is much more fun now..    I do not miss the buzz at all. the only regrets that I have are the loss of camaraderie with a few close friends...  I certainly have climbed much harder and better in my sober years than I did while lost in the cycle of intoxication.....  I was planning on smokeing some weed when we were in CO in 2016 as weed is not a problem for me. thought it might be fun nostalgia but while the opertunity was there I never felt the need or desire...... it just did not happen. I was too busy climbing , hikeing and playing music to get around to smokeing dope...

Excellent post Nick, sums it up for me. If you're looking back and the only thing you had in common with the friends you miss was the drugs it wasn't meant to last.

I have lost two of my oldest and dearest climbing friends to drug abuse. One to cancer, and the last remaining one (that I still keep up with) is drunk most of the time. I can look back and miss the fun we had and hate it at the same time.

For most people the scale tips somewhere. One way or the other.....JB

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Chris Hatzai wrote:

What are your philosophies on this matter? Do you crack a beer or light a bowl at the base of the wall regularly? 

(And if the smell offends you, sorry, i smoke the good shit.)

No.

T1

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "......"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.