Mountain Project Logo

Original Post
Chris Hatzai · · Bend, Oregon · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 391

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 324

Not usually. I don't smoke pot, so I can't comment on that one, but I save the drinking until after the climbing is done.

How often have you climbed completely sober? If you always climb stoned, then of course all of your hardest redpoints will have been while intoxicated! ;)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

There goes your chance for your next job!

wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 78

I always have my beer AFTER climbing.  I think that people who choose to smoke / drink during climbing should warn potential new partners before meeting at the crag.  That way, the sober folks have the chance to bow out and say, 'no thanks, I'll find another partner', or 'yeah, I'm cool with that' before getting stuck in an awkward situation.

Chase Bowman · · Durango · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 635

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Chris Hatzai wrote:

I smoke copious amounts of marijuana in my every day life 

Why? You spend more time living life in an altered state than in reality. Is being high all the time really worth it? I get that people use various vices for multitudes of reasons (everything from coffee to weed) but when you are 'altered' more than in reality you really should question the state of your life.

(And if the smell offends you, sorry, i smoke the good shit.)

What is the purpose of saying this? Makes you sound very entitled. Sorry, not sorry? Come on. 

I save the drinking for after.

TJ B · · Denver · Joined May 2012 · Points: 15

I do not. However, I work at the Level 1 Trauma Center on the Front Range that gets most of the falls from rock climbing. Of course you feel good climbing/belaying stoned, but one small mistake and someone is either wiping your butt for the rest of your life while you eat through a feeding tube or you're seriously injured and probably won't the same person you were before the accident. 

In my opinion, rock climbing is not something you should take lightly. You want to minimize every opportunity for a fatal mistake. But, to each their own. (And fwiw - I happen to love the smell of weed, I just don't want it dampening anyone's judgment around me). 

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470

If you have to get stoned or buzzed before you do anything on a daily basis, then you are an addict by definition. 

ViperScale . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 240

I have climbed on LSD, pot, alcohol, dmt, and mescaline... personally think LSD was the best drug to climb on. As long as you aren't that high it helps get rid of the fear and doesn't screw up your movements like alot of other drugs.

Mason Stone · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Climbing intoxicates me so yes, before during and after, don't need no drugs.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 668

Chris - We live in Oregon dude.....it is called Cannabis! :) 

I think a slightly altered state can definitely be an advantage. Herb, beer, or even a slight head cold has helped. Just enough to make the physical kinda fuzzy while keeping the head on straight.

We have a small crew hittin the Marsh this weekend. You should come out and we can run some tests!

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Climbing is my drug. I have had a few partners that I trusted that are stoners but still rather fly sober......  I totally get it how a functioning addict performs better when they have the right amount of whatever in their system...  is what it is. Some people are worth spending time with so you live with the addictions. 

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

I thought two crag beers were part of the rack? I usually, save them for the last climb or two of the day tho and don't really get drunk. Their just kind nice after a long day of climbing cracks.  On a multi-pitch, I might throw one in the pack if I'm leaving it at the base for the hike out. For weed, i usually wait to tell im all done climbing. 

Nick Goldsmith wrote:

functioning addict 

He is talking about cannabis

Chris Hatzai wrote:

Ooo will you be out there Sunday? Smith looks amazing Sat, but id be stoked to check out the marsh on Sun! What are the grades like? I project v0! 

Oh and ill bring the cannabis!!

Its central Oregon.....everything is hard V4-ish. :)

I think we will likely pack up early on Sunday. The weather is choice this weekend. Maybe I can drag you out there in the spring! I think you will really like it out there. Zero climbers (people for that matter).....like literally zero. Tall FA's to be had. Oh and.. beer, herb, dirtbikes. guns and crap loads of free seasoned firewood!

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
Mike Brady wrote:

Its central Oregon.....everything is hard V4-ish. :)

I think we will likely pack up early on Sunday. The weather is choice this weekend. Maybe I can drag you out there in the spring! I think you will really like it out there. Zero climbers (people for that matter).....like literally zero. Tall FA's to be had. Oh and.. beer, herb, dirtbikes. guns and crap loads of free seasoned firewood!

Sounds...incredibly dangerous.  Not the individual components, but the combination.

B Owens wrote:

Sounds...incredibly dangerous.  Not the individual components, but the combination.

“For believe me! — the secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is: to live dangerously!......."

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 235

No.

J Squared · · santa barbara, CA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

let's help this thread out.

in·tox·i·cate

(of alcoholic drink or a drug) cause someone to lose control of their faculties or behavior.

------

ok so.. if you're still a prude who thinks the world is taken over by REEFER MADNESS and anyone who's smoked a joint is "intoxicated"... /sigh?

there's a difference between cracking a beer/bowl at the base of a climb.... and... Intoxicated...   title the thread better ;)

J Squared wrote:

.....   title the thread better ;)

I would assume CH is consuming more than you think

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
ViperScale . wrote:

I have climbed on LSD, pot, alcohol, dmt, and mescaline... personally think LSD was the best drug to climb on. As long as you aren't that high it helps get rid of the fear and doesn't screw up your movements like alot of other drugs.

Thats impressive. I've heard the stories or Bridwell climbing on acid, but holy shit, I don't know how people do it and live to tell about it. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "......"
in the General Climbing